stalking for complete novice

hi

I have never been dear stalking although fancied it for quite a while, and have been put off by the fact i beleive it can be a very expensive sport and i do not own my own rifle. Roughly how much would i be looking at to be takin by someone and tought the basics?, and is there people that hire out rifles for begginers ect, somewhere possibly in scotland.

many thanks!

Ok, firstly the legal stuff. You can't hire a rifle to use on your own, full stop. It's illegal. You CAN use a rifle under the supervision of the person who has the shooting rights over the land, under a thing called the "estate condition". "Under supervision" is usually defined as "in sight and hearing of".

As a total beginner, you wouldn't be using the rifle on your own anyway. There are plenty of places where you can pay to go stalking. Prices vary hugely depending on location, the type of deer, the sex, whether it's a trophy head, the list of cost variables just goes on.

Have you done much in the way of shooting in the past? I wouldn't be happy taking an inexperienced shot out on the hill unless I was sure they were confident and competent to place the shot correctly to maximise the chance of a good quick, clean, humane kill. If you've done a lot of shooting then that's fine, but expect the stalker to want to see you place three good shots in the kill zone at 100 yards, or 150 yards, depending on the type of stalking.

A few days of stalking will cost you a fair amount, but if you think you might want to take up the sport, then it's worth doing just to make sure you enjoy it before you commit a lot of time and effort into getting an FAC and all the other stuff that inevitably goes with the sport.

If you google "Deer stalking" there should be plenty of places offering stalking at all sorts of levels. Get in touch with them and just have a chat, and go for the one that you feel most comfortable with. You'll want to ask them what the cost is per stalk, and cost per beast shot, plus any extras. Bear in mind that you will need to set aside some money for accomodation and food too, unless they specifically say that it is included (it hardly ever is!)

I know it sounds pretty daunting, but a good outfit will make it as painless as possible (other than the wallet bending properties). It's an amazing way to get out in the field and learn all about the wildlife and see the countryside in a whole new way.

I have alot of experience shooting all different types of rifle's including sniper rifles, which i believe are very similar to what would be used in deer stalking. Although i would need to be familiarised with the rifle and sighting system used, i doubt it would take very long at all for me to be shooting at the required standard.

Ive googled it and like you said there are alot of places offering begginers courses ect, although many do not have prices, which i imagine varies depending on what your after, i think i will just give one a phone call so i can ask any questions.

thanks for the advice matt

Ive been dealing with a grumpy customer today that has changed things around since i priced a job but coming on here and seeing those kind offers has restored the faith a bit .The offer is from me also mate if you fancy a trip to the promise land .Morning and evening stalks are only a grand a piece and i keep all venison ,cant say fairer than that eh. :D:D:D

Ive been dealing with a grumpy customer today that has changed things around since i priced a job but coming on here and seeing those kind offers has restored the faith a bit .The offer is from me also mate if you fancy a trip to the promise land .Morning and evening stalks are only a grand a piece and i keep all venison ,cant say fairer than that eh. :D:D:D

Bloody hell,i was going to let the lad come f.o.c, i might have to come down to wiltshire now i know how cheap it is!!!!!!!! :whistling: