Are jills preferred while ferreting without collars?

once a fert learns to kill.be it hob or jill,it will stick to a bunny come what may,espcially if they up a stop end,most kill and leave,but keep returning to the kill,thats why it is just a bit silly to go out with out collars,they save a lot of time,and a lot of ferts,umteen posts on here,ooh ive lost me ferrets,i,ll pop back in the morning and see where it is,get some collars,and some piece of mind,know where your ferts are,ok,ian

• Like 1

I don't own any collars and have never used them, I have two hobs and two jills. I'm wondering if jills are better to work without collars due to being smaller and there-for less likely to make a kill and laying up? or do they kill and lay up as much, or even more than hobs?, cheers

mate i have collars but dont use them ive got grahound polecats there really small and they dont kill if they cant shift them up a block end they come away that just the way i like it atb

Theres nothing to stop you having a go with out collars ,Just use common sense start early work the burrows into the wind ,dont walk over the burrows and no noise ,then finish early in case of a hold up . if your going to get a kill your going to get one anyway so your as well going out and having a bit of sport

well i was out today,had 5 bolts then 1 of my jills did not come out,she was down for 1hr10min no signal at all so i put the other jill down with a collar on ,down the same hole 5 min past the 1st jill came out with no collar,so pin pointed were the other jill was dug 3ft got her out and the other collar was in there to,but no kill but i think they killed some were causing a blockage and the 2nd jill moved it abit but she must of got traped,so i would of been at a loss if i did not use a collar today with my ferrets ...

went out with a friend on his permission,i didnt have any collars and one of my jills went missing,luckily the lad i was with had a ferret with a collar on,he put his in,mine came out ten mins later,ended up digging 5 ft....ordered my self a locator and two collars the next day!! would of been gutted if i'd lost one of mine.