hi has anyone on here ever experienced carpal varus in a running dog (pup)

if so did it make a full recovery and work as normal

i have a first x saluki greyhound pup (16weeks old) with carpal varus witch makes her bow legged and she struggles to walk then it goes normal again

iv been to the vet and he said it should come right just keep her calm and keep her on chudleys puppy

but im unsure if she will be able to work when shes older as thats what i got her for work and i feel cruel when her legs go bad as she is in pain

im unsure of what to do because every time her legs go bad i feel like havein her pts thumbdown.gif

thanks jenna

Edited by turbotyke

hi jenna,ive never had any dog suffer from this but a mate did have a few years back he gave it something called mobile bones that contains Glucosamine/Chondroitin,it didnt cure it but it certainly improved it and prolonged its health, allowing him to keep working it,ive used it with my dog since but only cos shes a heavy dog and it helps with all the stress her bones get,it aint cheap but your dogs worth a try :thumbs:

Edited by craigyboy

copied from another web site .. my help!!

This is Dr. Christian. Carpal valgus is due to an abnormal growth in the growth plates in a young growing dog. The growth plate is where the bone lengthens in a young dog, the rest of the bone never changes. If an injury occurs to one side of the growth (it can be genetic or dietary too) then the other side of the growth plate grows faster than the injured side and the bone curves abnormally. Since this is on both legs it is probably hereditary. These dogs can have arthritis as they age due to abnormal weighbearing on those legs. I would recommend starting him on Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements. They are safe and given daily to help slow down the progression of arthritis

copied from another web site .. my help!!

This is Dr. Christian. Carpal valgus is due to an abnormal growth in the growth plates in a young growing dog. The growth plate is where the bone lengthens in a young dog, the rest of the bone never changes. If an injury occurs to one side of the growth (it can be genetic or dietary too) then the other side of the growth plate grows faster than the injured side and the bone curves abnormally. Since this is on both legs it is probably hereditary. These dogs can have arthritis as they age due to abnormal weighbearing on those legs. I would recommend starting him on Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements. They are safe and given daily to help slow down the progression of arthritis

thanks riohog thumbs.gifall help is very much appreciated

i know that it can reduce working capabilty and length of working life. Im a farrier and see this every now and again and some horses can really suffer with it. Throughbreeds do not cope to well with these kinds of conditions and it also effects the flight of the limb. Arab race horses cope a little better. I think it depends on the degree of the defect. I would keep work light. They can pin the legs on the side of the limb thats growing fastest which allows the limb to even out if you can catch it early enough. Hope it works out well mate.

i have a first x saluki greyhound pup (16weeks old) with carpal varus witch makes her bow legged and she struggles to walk then it goes normal again

iv been to the vet and he said it should come right just keep her calm and keep her on chudleys puppy

but im unsure if she will be able to work when shes older as thats what i got her for work and i feel cruel when her legs go bad as she is in pain

im unsure of what to do because every time her legs go bad i feel like havein her pts thumbdown.gif

thanks jenna

are the others ok from the litter :thumbs:

thanks jenna

are the others ok from the litter :thumbs:

no mate me and a friend had a pup each out the same litter and there both the same with the legs but we rung the breeder and she said all the others are fine

and before anyone asks we have our pups on total different food and the vet has said its not what were feeding the pups they were born with it its when one bone in the leg grows faster than the other makeing the legs bow

untill the other bone catches up atb jenna