classic double

ive been offered a classic double 101 trap shot gun with ported barrels multi choke witch i want to use for decoying.can anybody give me any information about these guns especialy what effect the ported barrels have if any.thanks

classic double, was the name given to winchester shotguns , they stopped making them ,but a gunsmith who worked for winchester at the time took them over trading as classic double until he got to trade as winchester if im wrong please correct me atb

I had one of these, lovely gun, a bit heavy for game though. as far as i know the brand classic doubles used a few makes of gun not just winchesters, a bit similar to the parker hale range. if it's defo the winnie 101 action then rip his arms off for it, a very nice gun.

The porting at the end of the barrel is to help reduce muzzle flip. Also check the action is tight, if not it'll cost around a ton to rejoint.

I had one of these, lovely gun, a bit heavy for game though. as far as i know the brand classic doubles used a few makes of gun not just winchesters, a bit similar to the parker hale range. if it's defo the winnie 101 action then rip his arms off for it, a very nice gun.

The porting at the end of the barrel is to help reduce muzzle flip. Also check the action is tight, if not it'll cost around a ton to rejoint.

thanks for the replys how can i tell if its a winchester

Gram, I understand what the porting is supposed to do, what I don't understand is how it's supposed to do it. Recoil occurs in accordance with newtons second law. If it is not directed centrally backwards then it will cause the muzzle to rise (muzzle flip). This happens immediately the powder ignites. The porting supposedly reduces this effect by allowing the escape of some of the combustion gases from the top of the barrel. This only happens at the very end of the barrel, just before the pellets leave the barrel altogether. The barrel has already travelled upwards a fair bit by then, and the escaping gases will not make a huge difference to that surely? The porting seems to be a bit of a gimick, as physically I can't understand how people think it works. As for reducing recoil, that's a whole load of b######s!

Gram, I understand what the porting is supposed to do, what I don't understand is how it's supposed to do it. Recoil occurs in accordance with newtons second law. If it is not directed centrally backwards then it will cause the muzzle to rise (muzzle flip). This happens immediately the powder ignites. The porting supposedly reduces this effect by allowing the escape of some of the combustion gases from the top of the barrel. This only happens at the very end of the barrel, just before the pellets leave the barrel altogether. The barrel has already travelled upwards a fair bit by then, and the escaping gases will not make a huge difference to that surely? The porting seems to be a bit of a gimick, as physically I can't understand how people think it works. As for reducing recoil, that's a whole load of b######s!

i'm not sure myself either :laugh: I didn't notice any improvement over an ordinary barrel. However, it does work on my rifle.

Not sure how to describe a winchester 101 action, take a mate or ask the seller to be sure is my advice, the 101 is quite collectable now.

ive been offered a classic double 101 trap shot gun with ported barrels multi choke witch i want to use for decoying.can anybody give me any information about these guns especialy what effect the ported barrels have if any.thanks

Hi there.

'Classic doubles' are not renowned as excellent, they were a short lived 'version' of the Winchester shotguns when they ceased trading.

I must confess I have never handled one, but I have two 'genuine' 1970's Winchester's a Model 23 S/S and a Pigeon Grade O/U skeet gun,

both of which are very good, my contacts in the trade say that the 'Classic Doubles' are inferior and that fact is reflected in the

price at which they change hands! That said if the price is right?

My advice for what it's worth, get a 'real' one.

REGARDS

Andyf