• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you mean you're wanting to breed to continue the family line you have, and the dogs you have are working well doing what you want them to, then you will want to linebreed to lock in those working q

ive never under stood this one terriers , working terriers strains , now every one wants to start a strain why , :icon_eek: you get a terrier if it goes to ground result, then you breed of it hopefully they produce a % of workers but are they you strain :whistling: hunt terrier, fell type oh for the old days :icon_eek:

ive never under stood this one terriers , working terriers strains , now every one wants to start a strain why , :icon_eek: you get a terrier if it goes to ground result, then you breed of it hopefully they produce a % of workers but are they you strain :whistling: hunt terrier, fell type oh for the old days :icon_eek:

:thumbs:

If you mean you're wanting to breed to continue the family line you have, and the dogs you have are working well doing what you want them to, then you will want to linebreed to lock in those working qualities (a tried and tested method throughout the working terrier world. If i was you i would track down some relatives of the dog - either grandparents, aunties or uncles and see if they are also working as you would expect your own terriers to do. If they are, then i would do an aunty/nephew mating or uncle/niece mating. I have heard that grand sire put over grand daughters or grandsons put over grand dams are also good but haven't tried this myself. Half brother / sister matings i have seen a few but i think you would be painting yourself in to a corner too soon using this method unless you have a lot of choice on related dogs when you come to do the next mating.

if you do follow these methods you need to be careful when looking at the pups and make sure they dont suffer from any problems as linebreeding like this can "fix in" bad points as well as good points in to the pups you are breeding. keep an eye on all pups not just the ones you keep back as you may be lucky and get the good one, someone else may get a dodgy one but this indicates what qualities your own dog may or may not pass on when mated to another closely related dog.

• Like 1

Linebreeding = Inbreeding

Inbreeding = Problems (Some you can see, cleft pallet,severly undershot,small litters, etc...)

(Some you will not see until its too late,trouble mating,trouble whelping,internal heart/liver/kidney problems)

IMO keep away from inbreeding, the KC have been practising this on terriers for over 100 years.

Look at the abortions they have created.

The KC hired a leader in the field of genetics to report on the state of their breeding policies.

They were not too happy when he came back and said they were wrong.

Ive studied genetics, not at a very high level but ive learnt enough to know that line breeding isnt a good idea,

and before anyone says other wise let me explain my point, it can and does 'lock in' attributes that you may want and without it no breed of dog would be able to breed 'true', and i would never judge anyone for doing it with their own lines but it can and does have its issues.

An anmials gentic code is what makes that animal the way it is and what makes its immune and succeptable to certain things, it is made up of all its parents gentic codes, which is in turn made up of their parents codes etc etc and goes right back to the start of a species.

Once an anmial is bred to its relatives its gentic code gets comprimised as it is not as varied as i should be, this can lead to a huge variety of problems the biggest is it automatically makes them more succeptable to a range of problems, this succeptability can then be passed down to its offspring even if it is bred to an unrelated animal. This is where with alot of breeds problems where started for future generations, and peoples ignorance then kicks in as once they have a dog that is breeding true and doing what they want they tend to only stick to introducing new blood every now and then, instead of only line breeding every now and then, and alot of people when introducing new blood will only use one stud for multiple bitches instead of using a different stud for each one.

the best way to breed dogs with unrelated dogs, good worker to good worker, and the way to increase the chance of you getting the pups to work just aswell as your current dog is by making sure you dont rush into finding a stud/bitch, but wait until you find a dog that works in a similar way and just aswell if not better then your own.

If you are going to line breed my advice is, never breed siblings and never parents to offspring, as problems can start almost striaght away, grandparents to grandchildren aunts/uncles nephews isnt as bad but its not that good either, great grandparents and great aunts/uncles is alot better but that can be problem as they may be alot older then your own dog and even finding them can be difficult and then you have to find the working ones,

we currently have a KC dalmation, who was a rescue, he is a great looking dog, the best dalmation i have ever seen in the flesh and i have been asked by alot of owners to use him for stud with their dalmations but i wont, the main reason their dalmations where not in the best condition and my one has been to the vets more then any dog i have owned and he is only 3(and only for little things), he has a sensitive stomach, and now has an issue with his anal glands, and has a few times been unwell, now to most people (our vet included) these are nothing major and no reason not to breed him, to me this shows he is more succeptable to aliments and issues even though he is a great 'example' of the breed. And he will be castraited in a few months as it will help with his gland problem and reduce this cancer risk :thumbs:

all our other dogs have been terrier mixes and the only time they went to the vets was for their jabs and when they were 15+years and they need to be put down due to the problems you get with old dogs.

Edited by Jordb543

if i were you i would fine some terriers from similar blood and suitable working type to suit you and breed them together to form your own strain. you may not get workers from these. but supposing u do u can then breed for say three line breedings and one good out cross. but becarefull with your out cross it may produce one good litter but what about there litters d harcombe ruined one of his strains with a bad out cross to monty a red parks bred dog. so then say ur outcross works you used the same stud over two bitches u now have two litters of half brother sisters this is the mating N stevens used a lot and he produces arguably the best dogs in the world. so after ur close half sibling mating maybe go abit further away say uncle great neic4e mating your still in the family but not really close. Remeber line breeding chucks the good threw twice as strong but also puts the bad threw twice as strong so a strict culling regime will also sought your strain out.when your a few years down the line you should be getting some were near wat u want for thats wat line breeding is a quicker way of getting wat u want from a animal as apposed to selective breeding. sometimes u may be able to get away with using some of the mediocre stuff for a line mating because it has the blood behind it but not a mediocre out cross. hope this is of some help

First of all IMO nobody should get into working terriers with the intention of forming their own line. It should just happen. Usually when a man has worked a few from different lines/families/types he'll realise what he wants in a terrier and strive for it.

As for the experts saying line breeding/inbreeding doesn't work ???? It does work.

The Kennel Club made a balls of several breeds by inbreeding but they didn't have something that the working dog man has. The Field.

For a working dog to work hard for several seasons in the field it must in the first place be a physically perfect specimen. I'm not talking about petty things like a mouth being under shot, things like that aren't pleasing to the eye but they're not the same as hip-dysplacia etc. etc.

Most of the time you hear of a so called working strain thats develelped serious health issues you'll find that the men behind it had money and personal gain in mind.

I'm talking about the small kennels of working terriers, gundogs, hound packs, pit dogs etc. that have been using linebreeding/inbreeding for years and making it work.

Like I say, hard work in the field is a form of natural selection in itself.

JMHO.

i dont want make me own line for sake money if want money i would go out make it want me own line for Me and my close friends to keep a strain just for me own use and hopefully pass line on to me three son when them get older and them to continue working it for generations all info i need would be grate help thank u

Guest busterdog

First of all IMO nobody should get into working terriers with the intention of forming their own line. It should just happen. Usually when a man has worked a few from different lines/families/types he'll realise what he wants in a terrier and strive for it.

As for the experts saying line breeding/inbreeding doesn't work ???? It does work.

The Kennel Club made a balls of several breeds by inbreeding but they didn't have something that the working dog man has. The Field.

For a working dog to work hard for several seasons in the field it must in the first place be a physically perfect specimen. I'm not talking about petty things like a mouth being under shot, things like that aren't pleasing to the eye but they're not the same as hip-dysplacia etc. etc.

Most of the time you hear of a so called working strain thats develelped serious health issues you'll find that the men behind it had money and personal gain in mind.

I'm talking about the small kennels of working terriers, gundogs, hound packs, pit dogs etc. that have been using linebreeding/inbreeding for years and making it work.

JMHO.

:thumbs:

JMHO.

Good post :thumbs:

JMHO.

Very good post!

YIS,