BIG LUMP AND SMALL LESIONS

Hi ...This is more a request from a friend who shot his first roe buck on saturday.He has told me that there was a big lump on the inside of the animal just at the underside of its back he reckoned it to be about the size of a tennis ball he said he cut into it and what he described was like a smooth white paste emerged...after looking at the animal more closely he said it had what he described again as little white balls maybe 2-3 mm in diameter all over its body but in the flesh itself.He also said that the deer was in fine looking health with no weight loss and appeared very lively (until he shot it) Of course he is disappointed as it was his first roe but could someone tell us what these are and if the deer should be disposed of or can it be fed to his dogs etc ...Davy

Edited by Davy T

Tapeworm cysts?? hard to say without photos, don't like the sound of the little ball within the muscle structure though.

Hi Mudman...i spoke to the vet and he said pretty much the same thing as yourself "cystic worms" was what he told me...and without looking at the lump he could'nt really say ....the only other thing was to dispose of the carcass and not to feed to any dogs etc..... cheers Davy

Put some pics up bud..........Martin

Hi Martin ...Thanks for reply....i have already disposed of the carcass....will know the next time to take a pic first ....cheers Davy

Sounds like the cystic stage of the dog tapeworm TAENIA OVIS , see it occasionally at work in sheep ( Meat inspector ) , you did the right thing disposing of the carcase , and DONT give it to the dogs , you will start the cycle over again.As for the large lump it sounds like an abscess .

atb Brian

Interesting. Have you ever seen a deer infested with Warble fly larvae? I'm guessing by your description, these little white lumps were on the external of the carcass? Such an infestation isn't that common and normally associated with Red's. Bad infestations can lead to infections. Did you see the lumps? If so, do a search on google for "warble fly deer" and compare the pictures.

Did you inspect the lymph nodes to rule out TB? Generally abscesses associated with TB will leach pus, with the consistency of thick yogurt and be creamy white in colour. Obviously it's hard due to not having any pictures. I have seen tumours in the skin of deer, but these have been fibrous. Tapeworm cysts are normally clear or white sacks of fluid, not unlike a bladder of a rabbit.

John

Were there any other issues, such as discolouration of the lung tissue, inflamed lymph nodes etc. ? Warble fly is unusual in England, but rife in Scotland. You see them more in Reds, but not unheard of in Roe, and they start in the gut and migrate through the flesh to under the skin :sick: , so could cause abscesses in the abdominal cavity.

If there were other signs of infection, then I might suspect TB, but without the tubercules in the lung it's unlikely.