FAC question?

You don't initially need to have a cabinet to apply for an FAC. You will however need one before you buy a rifle.

All said and done, I can assure you that the firearms enquiry officer will not be very happy having to return to pass your cabinet once you decide to get your act together. Cabinets are not that expensive and you will have plenty of time between sending in your application and having a visit. Many on line shops sell cabinets for around £100 albeit not ideal but will get you started, second hand cabinets can sell for as little as £40. The FAC process isn't as arcane as you might expect. If you are law abiding and have no record to suggest other, if you have land suited to your firearm needs and have a suitable need for a firearm, all will go okay.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

do you have a shotgun?, or thinking of applying for that in the future?

when I got my shotgun cert, I installed an FAC cabinet (lockable top box) in case I ever applied for an FAC, which I did the following year.

you could simply apply for your FAC, wait untill you get your interview, then explain your reasons for not having it fitted on his visit, it shouldent hurt your application, but will just take longer

when I got my shotgun cert, I installed an FAC cabinet (lockable top box) in case I ever applied for an FAC, which I did the following year.

you could simply apply for your FAC, wait untill you get your interview, then explain your reasons for not having it fitted on his visit, it shouldent hurt your application, but will just take longer

Thanks guys I may have one fitted & just put air rifles in for now. I was thinking of bolting it to my wall in the loft so should be even harder to get at. I'd like a rim fire & probably a shotgun.

Thanks guys I may have one fitted & just put air rifles in for now. I was thinking of bolting it to my wall in the loft so should be even harder to get at. I'd like a rim fire & probably a shotgun.

If you want a FAC and a SGC apply coterminously as it will save you about £40.

I have heard that some FEOs don't like cabinets in the loft, theory being if it's difficult to access and you come home knackered you might not bother putting the gun back in the cabinet.