Out on new permission today

Hi all, Unfortunately No pics as yet as i left my camera in the car :wallbash:

I went out on an invite to a farm today, accompanied by the land owners son and a friend of his.

I was told the usual about how the edges were rammed with rabbits etc..... :hmm:

Though i was encouraged to hear that the last time this area was ferreted was almost ten years ago. (though it is lamped with a rim fire fairly often).

I arrived at 10:30 this morning and after the obligatory hand shaking, loaded all my kit into his Landy, off we went, to a field of young rape seed. The area to be ferreted was an old drainage ditch and a sparse hedge row. The ditch and the hedge row were covered in what appeared to be very young nettles :icon_eek: and violent they are too, (my ears are still tingling). As luck would have it almost all of the holes were semi clear and we set about netting up the ditch first, after laying about thirty or so nets we entered my older silver Jill and my second season albino Hob who were pre collard. With in just a couple of moments we had three bolt out of three holes and pursed nicely, a good omen for once! then a lull followed by some steady action for about 15 mins, leading to another 6. Feeling good now. onto the next section of ditch and similar action there leading to another 9. So 18 from the ditch and after two hours it was time to nip to the ole' pub at the top of the field for a pint of ice cold Coke, and a tray of water for the ferrets. No one even batted an eyelid when I brought in the ferret box and let the furry-gits have a drink on the floor in front of the bar!.

So back to the Landy and on to the hedge row, this was on a slight bank, the small trees had died off due to rabbit damage, it took the three of us about 45 mins to purse net the full length of the banking. The good practice of netting every possible hole on the 300yrds of banking, paid of with a good many back netted. the action was fast each time we moved the ferrets down to a new section of banking, with the rabbits exploding from the warrens with acrobatic finesse. After just missing out on a netted rabbit which managed to kick free, the land owners son was rewarded with a nice straight shot at the rapidly disappearing rear end of the rabbit, which he took at thirty yards with a single shot from 12 gauge. There was a puff of fluff and a stone dead rabbit. After asking the son about the load used, it was a high bird load at a 3/4 choke!! slight over kill!!

Any way, back to the ferreting and after a short 2ft dig we finally retrieved our last rabbit, with time called as the day was drawing to a close. The tally for the hedge was 26 big healthy rabbits, Total for the day= 44 :gunsmilie:

Needless to say i was over the moon with the ferrets performance, working consistently all day and behaving impeccably. The Owners son was so impressed that i have an open invite for when i'm free next, and he's even given me an invite for some of his neighbours land for early november.

So, all in all a very good day.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, i'll get some piccys up in a couple of days.

ATB LD13

The Bank

post-30866-050531000 1287100656_thumb.jpg

The EOD Shot

post-30866-059133600 1287100641_thumb.jpg

Edited by longdog13
  • Like 1

sounds like you had a cracking day there mate. fook spending 45 mins setting out purse nets with this many nettles still about grab the longnet :thumbs:

ATB REDEYE

Ha HA, long nets no good in that situation matey, the bank and the ditch were in the middle of two huge fields, the nearest cover was well over 100yrds away, the only way the rabbits were going to go was down the middle of the area being worked, no long net needed. Had to be done the hard way fella :blink::gunsmilie:

Good tally Longdog, but how much would you have paid to borrow a camera for the end of day :D

Both the blokes took pics with camera phones so all is not lost :victory:

Just have to wait to see them :icon_redface: It was a great day with great weather on cracking land :thumbs:

And the best bit is the rabbits are already at the local butchers :thumbs:

a good write up, and good bag, you could still long net it eitherside, then divide the length up with smaller gate nets running across/into the ditch

Cheers Stubby, it all worked out well, and it wasn't the hardest netting job in the world, bit windy out on Sheppy though :blink: