harris hawk not flying 2 me

podge the poacher

take the harris away from the garden and feed it some where else where you intend to fly it keep feeding there then drop the weight till it flys to you have you got it flying to the fist if so keep increasing the distance,make sure you keep an eye on the weight,they get used to where they live theres no threats there it needs to be took out and manned in other places all the best john.

hi there i am lucking 4 some help 4 my mate he has a female harris hawk and its flying 2 him when its in run but when he gets her out and puts the lead on her in the garden she doesnt fly 2 him she is just trying 2 escape all the time can any 1 help us out . she is 18 weeks old

Sounds like you or your mate haven,t got a clue. Best advice I can give to you , is find someone close by who knows what they're doing and get some help quick. Your either going to kill it or loose it. If you were close by I'd help you out mate, but can't advise without checking the birds condition. Mike.

starting a bird in the pen then taking it outside expecting it to do the same aint gonna work, doing it this way is almost like training the same hawk twice if you get what i mean,the same really applies to the garden then going in the field, what age did he start manning this bird? what weight was it when he started it and what weight is it now?

As said by others, the bird needs to be got out of the avairy and manned/walked round plenty of different places, we normally walk round with birds on the glove whilst walking dogs etc, or take out whilst flying other birds, in the house (if allowed by other half), in garden, take to friends houses and sit in their gardens.

If the bird is only used to one place then she will only want to do things ie eat, jump over, etc in that one place!

As also said the weight needs to be checked, as your mate starts dropping her weight the need for food will take over and she will be more likely to come over for food in a different area.

carol

• 2 weeks later...