Weathering Snares

Tell you what its a nightmare getting a hedgehog out,

Bit of subject but a trick i was taught as a very young lad! if you pinch the skin on the forehead of the hedgehog and hold it by this bit of skin the hedgehog will open up from its ball! not always fully but it does work! has anyone else tried this or heard of it before??

regards P

I always use purple crystals mate or potassium permanganate to give its official title just mix the powder up with water and throw the bundle of snares in a drum or bucket for a day or two and they come out all mottled and dark and blend in brilliantly. It is cheap and easy to get hold of. The other method i have used is boiling them in tea which also works but your better soaking them in detergent first to get the grease off and get the tea colouring to stick better.

• 1 month later...

WELL IAN ,

WE KNOW ITS NOT A COINCIDENCE THAT THE BEST NIGHTS FOR A GOOD KILL OF CONYS ARE THE BEST NIGHTS FOR LAMPING !

DARK AND SCENTLESS ....... BOTH OPTIONS COVERED !!

MANY RABBITS OUT DAYLIGHT FEEDING IN SHORTER GRASS , HAVENT THE SAME AMOUNT OF ALERTNESS [ IF THATS THE RIGHT WORD FOR IT ]AS HE CAN SEE AROUND HIMSELF FOR DANGER , ... NO SHORT SPURTS . OR MAD DASHES AT THE SLIGHTEST SOUND ,....

THESE TO ME ARE THE RABBITS THAT WILL SHY AWAY FROM THE SHINY OR SCENT RIDDEN SNARE ......IVE SEEN A FEW MYSELF

ONE IN PARTICULAR LAST SEASON I WATCHED STOP DEAD AND JUMP AROUND A PEGGED SNARE ON A GOOD RUN ...... ONLY TO GET CAUGHT ON THE SAME RUN 30 YDS DOWN THE LINE ,.....

BOTH SNARES WERE THE SAME AND WERE WEATHERED THROUGH WORK , THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS THE SCENT FACTOR ........

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

duckwing, you are right its the scent that causes them to avoid a pegged snare, even a fenceline snare, there is another couple of problem with fenceline snares, but i,ll tell you on the phone, all about it, as for fox snares,when you have carried out extensive snaring, for many decades, in every type of inclement weather, like i have, you find out many various types of problems the average,run of the mill guys will never know about snares . yes,you will catch many foxes in new shiny snares as i have done myself on many occasions, but there are times they won,t catch,and that is a true fact and i learned this from hard experience, there are a three different occasions you won,t get them. anyway take care and happy snaring

Get yourself a bucket of water and a cup full of Virkon S.....leave the snares in there for a few days, that should do the trick :thumbs:

I do. On the fell the foxes are alot smarter than low ground foxes and i think anything that helps blend in the snare or cover up human presence is worth doing. I use shop bought snares and just leave them in a burn or trough for a couple of months to brown them a bit. Left them for too long once and it starts to properly rust them and therefore slow them down.

I also dont kneel on the ground when setting them to prevent leaving human scent behind. (probably doesnt make any difference but i like to do it just in case.

When i've strimmed trods or runs going into a stink pit i also gather up all the cut pieces of heather/rushes to make it look more natural. And try to strim it as long before i am going to set the snares as possible.