FAC came today

i doesnt have to be the lr is just long rifle which is a rimfire as you will know. so some fods may just change this to suite. i put down 22cf so i couod have a choice of rifles and got it as a 22cf insted of haveing to state 222,223 ect diffrent forces do diffrent things.

FAC came today guys. Got authority to acquire a .22RF and a .22RF moderator, plus authority to store 400 rounds of .22RF ammo.

One question tho guys, i asked for a .22LR, shouldn't that be down on the certificate instead of RF ?

Thanks

Mine's the same mate you could have a .22 wmr or .22lr so gives you another option.

Everyone I've spoken to has the same, .22RF rather than specific cartridge. I know some forces specify, for example, .22LR or .22WMR, but my understanding of the legislation is that the calibre has to be specified, not the cartridge!

This one comes round and round and is an anomaly.

Fact is you have to justify each calibre and its uses, how can a .22lr sub at around 100ft lb be equated to a .22WMR at around 325ft lb.

This is simply another difference in regional interpretation and just one of the reasons why all the firearms legislation needs a major overhaul!

i'm more than happy with my .22 CZ rimmy but did'nt know there was debates like this about getting differant rifles.

Just been looking at a copy of my FAC application form and i never actually wrote .22 rimfire or long rifle in the calibres i wanted, i wrote .22 semi-auto and .22 bolt action so thats what i've been granted although they wrote self loading for the semi, but dont know if i would have the option to buy something else at a later date, Liam..

i wrote .22 semi-auto and .22 bolt action so thats what i've been granted although they wrote self loading for the semi

Deker, we have this discussion every time someone brings it up.

Yes, it is difficult to understand how a .22wmr can be equated to a .22lr, but nevertheless that's how the law stands. Whether it's right or wrong is immaterial. The licence application forms ask for calibre only. Nowhere do they ask you to state the actual chambering, nor do they, or can they, specify the loading method. A .22 rimfire is pushing what they can specify. You can say to them that you wish to hold several of the same calibre for different purposes, that can be your good reason to hold, for example semi auto for bunnies, bolt action for targets or however you wish to justify them, but they CANNOT put the loading method (bolt action, self loading etc. etc.) on the certificate!

Putting aside arguments about overhauls in firearms licencing (which I fear would just lead to more regulation and more limits on what legitimate shooting folk can hold and do) that is the way the law stands.

Yes, it is difficult to understand how a .22wmr can be equated to a .22lr, but nevertheless that's how the law stands. CANNOT put the loading method (bolt action, self loading etc. etc.) on the certificate!

Just a couple of points to note here.

If you have been granted a .22lr, you can not purchase or acquire a .22wmr. The bottom line here is the interpretation of the word "calibre", it simply does not refer to bore diameter but also the length of cartridge. For example you will never be granted ".224 calibre rifle" and you would never be granted ".30 calibre centerfire rifle" for obvious reasons. In the same way .22WMR is quoted and .22lr is quoted, neither are the same and nor interchangeable with ammunition, simply different calibres.

The police most certainly can put loading methods on certificates, it is very restrictive but it happens. In reality we only have a few options open to us in centerfire, Bolt action, break action, Falling block, under lever. I have never seen an RFD refuse a sale of for example a .38 under lever to a certificate holder who has authority to purchase a .38 bolt action rifle but I guess it could be deemed illegal for the RFD to sell the rifle to the certificate hold (?).

John

Hunter. If the police in your area decide to put the cartridge, .22lr or .22wmr, then you can only purchase that calibre. I would argue that as the law stands they're on dodgy ground, but nevertheless if that's what's on the ticket I doubt there's a RFD in the land would sell you the other. HOWEVER if they put .22rf, then that covers both chamberings. Both are in absolute fact .22 calibre, and both are rimfire rounds, so you cannot be acting illegally by choosing whichever you want to.

Of course, ground permissions are different. An FEO will often limit ground to a particular calibre, and if you used a .22WMR on ground only cleared for .22lr, on a closed ticket, then you would be asking for trouble.

Hunter. If the police in your area decide to put the cartridge, .22lr or .22wmr, then you can only purchase that calibre. I would argue that as the law stands they're on dodgy ground, but nevertheless if that's what's on the ticket I doubt there's a RFD in the land would sell you the other. HOWEVER if they put .22rf, then that covers both chamberings. Both are in absolute fact .22 calibre, and both are rimfire rounds, so you cannot be acting illegally by choosing whichever you want to.

Of course, ground permissions are different. An FEO will often limit ground to a particular calibre, and if you used a .22WMR on ground only cleared for .22lr, on a closed ticket, then you would be asking for trouble.

Hi.

I have an open certificate for .22 rimfire and just last week I asked 3 diffrerent dealers if I could purchase some .22 WMR ammo(I use a .22wmr on a colleagues permission sometimes) and all three said no, one of them even went to the trouble of asking West Yorkshire Police Firearms Department, who said WMR ammo can only be bought if specified on the certificate.

DD

if they put .22rf, then that covers both chamberings.

It is for that exact reason the police would never issue a certificate with .22cf.

Calibres are specific, commonly taken a .22rf would grant the authority to purchase .22cap, .22short, .22LR but not .22WMR. There can be no argument that a .22WMR is a rim fire cartridge and has a bullet diameter of .22", however no RFD in their right mind will sell a .22WMR to a certificate holder with the authority to purchase .22LR or .22rf and this is a fact, why? Well because I have tried it and was told by both the RFD & the Police, NO! If anyone has any doubts at all, just go and try to buy .22WMR ammunition for your .22rf / .22LR. (sorry, just read David's post above, and he is 100% correct).

John

Edited by HUnter_zero