Hi all,

On one of my syndicates there are alot of squirrels and they are eating holes out of my feeders. Any time i go down with the shotgun theres none to be seen. So im going to use MK4 fenn traps. Whats the best method to catch them and what bate do i use ?

Any advice ??

Many thanks

Andrew.

Hi Andy

I prebait the area with maize and then put the fenns in tunnels. FYI I always use Fenn Mk6s for squirrels, another method thats worked well for me is if you have any banks cut a step shape out of it, set the fenn in the step then cover the top with a slate or similar, they love a look in a hole and bang.

Mk4 fenns will be plenty for squirrels. There isnt much need to bait your traps if set in the correct place. You will find that mice or slugs will take your bait before the squirrels get a chance.

If there is a plentyful foodsource available, likleyhood is they may even not bother with any bait.

Setting traps in tunnels should be more than adequate. Squirrels are very inquisetive and will check out your traps, hopefully providing you with results.

However, trap placement in some cases is important, bottlenecking a route to the feeders whilst restricting others, but not restricting access for the birds :icon_eek: .

Once your squirrels are under control you can open full access to the birds again.

Control might also be gained well away from the feeders, squirrels spend alot of time scratting about on the ground, a well placed tunnel may provide results.

Remember to restrict the access to your tunnels otherwise you may loose a poult or two.

• Like 1