how much food to feed on a shoot day?

out of interest what,how much and when do you feed your dogs on a shoot day. Ive usually given mine a cup of presoaked bisquits 1st thing in the morning.a gamekeeping tutor told me a bowl of tripe is best. What are your opinions?

out of interest what,how much and when do you feed your dogs on a shoot day. Ive usually given mine a cup of presoaked bisquits 1st thing in the morning.a gamekeeping tutor told me a bowl of tripe is best. What are your opinions?

Never give my dogs any meal before they work. I understand that all dogs are diff' but mine just seem sluggish if they are fed before they work. Seen them getting a pie at lunchtime though :thumbs:

do you give them anything different pre shoot day? I was also told pasta or rice the night before. I dont usualy change their diet much personaly and ive never had a problem. Im just interestedt in dif views

do you give them anything different pre shoot day? I was also told pasta or rice the night before. I dont usualy change their diet much personaly and ive never had a problem. Im just interestedt in dif views

The only change i make in my dogs diet is to add raw minced meat to there normal biscuits. I start that about sept' so they have had a good month of raw before they really get worked in the season. :thumbs:

Bad idea feeding before hard work in my opinion. Just feed the normal feed the night before and as long as your dogs fit, you will have no bother at all. :thumbs:

I totally agree, i think the key is having your dogs fit before your first shoot day, i feed the night before as usual and nothing while hunting, if you are working them twice a week they should be fine, any more or they are looseing condition put them on 2 feeds a day on non hunting days.

Mine hunt all year round so fittness has never been a problem.

ATB

Dave.

Bad idea feeding before hard work in my opinion. Just feed the normal feed the night before and as long as your dogs fit, you will have no bother at all. :thumbs:

I totally agree, i think the key is having your dogs fit before your first shoot day, i feed the night before as usual and nothing while hunting, if you are working them twice a week they should be fine, any more or they are looseing condition put them on 2 feeds a day on non hunting days.

ATB

Dave.

I agree, fitness is the issue here, no dog needs a breakfast to put in a hard days work. My spaniel would have come out lamping after beating aswell if he had his own way!

From the 12 august my dogs could be doing six day weeks, but I feed fatty meat + bone etc sometimes some high protien biscuit and kitchen leftovers like cooked veg etc. never had any bother with gundogs appetites unlike a lot of lurchers so I just make sure they get a bigger meal to keep them in good nick. They may have lost a bit of weight by October but feck they will be fit and solid and raring to go on the phessies. :thumbs:

ATB

Dave.

I agree, fitness is the issue here, no dog needs a breakfast to put in a hard days work. My spaniel would have come out lamping after beating aswell if he had his own way!

From the 12 august my dogs could be doing six day weeks, but I feed fatty meat + bone etc sometimes some high protien biscuit and kitchen leftovers like cooked veg etc. never had any bother with gundogs appetites unlike a lot of lurchers so I just make sure they get a bigger meal to keep them in good nick. They may have lost a bit of weight by October but feck they will be fit and solid and raring to go on the phessies. :thumbs:

Yep, if dog fit then should be no problemo, i also add a Vitamin B complex tab the night before, prior to feeding the main meal, helps release more energy from the food (as if they need it) lol, and if the dog is having a hard hard days work, then a vit B12 at lunchtime gives them a kick. I have one springer that i shoot with and it all hard going during tha day and loads of water retrieves, so he does get a right hammering, but like been said, if dog is fit then shouldn't have a problem, i just see the vitamins as an additional supplement to the diet when working dead hard for hours at a time daily & weekly.