it can be stress related ... not enough fats in its diet ... it could have been washed and shampoo not rinsed out enough ... Could try making sure the dog is "happy" and calm, add 20% lard or beef fat to its food a couple of times a week, and wash it in a good quality human anti dandruff shampoo but rinse the dog thoroughly until you think it is all completely out, and then rinse it some more!

My dogs have come across that problem only since the Summer has come, I know people say you shouldnt use some things that we use on dogs, but in some cases what i tend to use, if it worked for me then it should work on the dog, I had a bottle of shampoo in the house that cost £1.00 from any shop it contained Jasmine. Its good stuff for skin and scalp conditions like this. Give it a go and let me know how it clears up.

• 2 weeks later...

how do you get rid of it ive got a lurcher pup who has got it is there anything you can add to there diet

I use Kronch salmon oil on their food - you can buy it on eBay.

My lurcher had exactly the same problem - the salmon oil sorted her coat in less than a month.