Best .17HMR round

Hi guys,

Just chopped in my 10/22 for a Anschutz .17HMR with a SAK on the end... mainly for coney and pigeons. I know there has been an earlier thread on ammunition so apoligoes for being boring and/or thick. Has anyone got any experience in the Hornady 20 grain XTP? I understant the 17 gr v-max tends to turn them inside-out a bit :sick: but im not sure if the 20gr will zip right through them (being pretty much FMJ) and need a second shot or have em scamper off :o ?

Any views appreciated... apart from 'why the hell did you get rid of the 10/22' :11: :)

Edited by LocalYokel

hello,

I think if you hit solid bone with the 20g gamepoints they may expand a little, the few .17 users i do know say that the 17g ballistic tips group better. As long as you shoot for the head then it doesnt really matter how much damage is done. What about the CCI TNT hollowpoints they seem to have the best of both worls.

All the best

hello,

I think if you hit solid bone with the 20g gamepoints they may expand a little, the few .17 users i do know say that the 17g ballistic tips group better. As long as you shoot for the head then it doesnt really matter how much damage is done. What about the CCI TNT hollowpoints they seem to have the best of both worls.

All the best

Thanks mate :thumbs-up:

Hadn't looked at CCI for some obscure reason... had tunnel vision on hornady :icon_eek: see what you mean about the TNT jobs.. gamepoints don't look so bad either. nice one :victory:

theres a bit about .17 rounds in decembers sporting shooter, will scan it for you ;)

Cheers bud :rocker:

It looks like i'll have to use what-ever i can get my hands on!! :o ... seems to be some sort of distribution hiccup at the moment and its pretty thin on the ground. :(