RETRIEVING

i cant get my bitch to retrieve, like i said she is 11 months old and used to retrieve toys and stuff when she was a pup but she gradually grew tired of it. Then when i started lamping rabbits she wont bring them back at all and will also let them go before i get a chance to get there. i lost 2 last night because she was busy playing cat and mouse with them. how can i get her to stop playing with them and any tips on getting her back to retrieving or will i forget about the retrieving part now??????

Guest oldskool

i think she will grow out of the cat and mouse game too.... if you feed her a rabbit she will become harder mouthed because she will regard them as food... she will then probably learn to crunch them up and then take them away from you when you go to lift it off her and thats even more annoyin...... a dog that doesnt retrieve is not the worst thing in the world, just means you have to walk a bit more :)

i think she will grow out of the cat and mouse game too.... if you feed her a rabbit she will become harder mouthed because she will regard them as food... she will then probably learn to crunch them up and then take them away from you when you go to lift it off her and thats even more annoyin...... a dog that doesnt retrieve is not the worst thing in the world, just means you have to walk a bit more :)

feeding them rabbs doesnt mean there going to be harder i fed lana luke etc rabbs never wanted to crunch them to hell etc same with some of the saluks ive kept, feeding a dog afox does it make it a fox killer , no disrespect but never heard rubbish like that before

Guest oldskool

feeding them rabbs doesnt mean there going to be harder i fed lana luke etc rabbs never wanted to crunch them to hell etc same with some of the saluks ive kept, feeding a dog afox does it make it a fox killer , no disrespect but never heard rubbish like that before

well, i'm sure your a better trainer than i am or anyone else for that matter but i have trained a few in my time and letting them eat rabbits at the start of theyre career before they learn how to retrieve usually ends up with a dog that wont want to retrieve and even moves away when the owner comes to collect.... how many dogs have you seen willingly hand over theyre grub??? i know morris well and we were toying with the idea of letting her eat a fresh rabbit, skin and all!! i dont think thats the way to go with a pup startin out IMO...:hmm:... I always feed my pups rabbit etc but i recommend skinning etc first...

when you train a pup it should be done long before 11 moons old maybe the guys feched the retreiving thing up , any way itll not be solved here youll maybe have to go to someone localy who can train dogs im away up in scotland but if i was local to you i would have alook at the dog and asses ,him or the dog training wise ,some people were never ment to train a dog when i use to train spaneils with my mate as he was into trails he would train adog for a customer then give him the dog back with in a month the dog would not be as bad , but was going down hill some times its the trainer not the dog

Guest Lurchers2006

When my pup started catching (about 2 months ago) he was like this, i kept up with retrieving traning with rabbit skin dummys and theres certainly a big improvement. Hes now stopping about 5 feet out but im sure hell be coming in fully soon, he wouldnt retrieve toys either but the rabbit skin hell do it every time. the more rabbits he catches the better his retrieving is getting. Beleive me if i can teach this dog to retrieve any one can do it!! I remember waiting for 35 mins to get a bunny of him once!!

old skool i met plummer a few year a back he used to kick about the game fairs in scotland , the books he wrote on training were handy for people who were starting of etc ,some of his books are acceptable , but hey once youve met him you have a sour taste in your mouth,about him he was a fraud