how to get ma dog to jump

iv got this pure whippet dog 2 1/2 years

he's dead keen on the lamp, ferreting, coursing etc. but he just wont jump

yesterday him n my COLLIE chased a couple of rabbits through some sheep fencing the collie flew over and snatched

a rabbit but the whippet stopped dead, what can i do to make him jump?

post-52348-034987700 1279747797_thumb.jpg

post-52348-072383700 1279747814_thumb.jpg

I have a baby gate in my kitchen door way to stop the dogs, my new whippet x jumps the gate to and fro, to run with the other dogs, tried her at a local hunt show over hurdles, did it with ease, now she pops over any thing :thumbs: Denise

Wire fence across the door of the pen, come feeding time leave his food on other side of wire fench and watch him jump. :thumbs:

totally agree with both the above start small and get bigger try not and set the jump on concrete or slabs as you can risk injury to the dog. my cocker will jump fences and stone walls and has even cleared a gate but did jump from a slightly higher side. your wippet will soon be flying over everything including the garden fence.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers he's getting their especially if there's food at the other side ;) iv found he jumps things better if it's solid like a plank off wood which goes right to the floor rather than something that looks flimsy thanks for the advice :D

i know its not a whippet but what i did with my gwp x was just walk her and when i came to a fence just climb over it a keep walking she would howl bark after me trying to find a way round when she couldn't she started climbing the fence could do that and tryed jumping and now she jumps no problem

i know its not a whippet but what i did with my gwp x was just walk her and when i came to a fence just climb over it a keep walking she would howl bark after me trying to find a way round when she couldn't she started climbing the fence could do that and tryed jumping and now she jumps no problem

Totally agree. That's how i've slways done it. Make sure to start small, especially over wire fencing. I find it also encourages the dog to start thinking for itself