DRAWING

Guest Lurchers2006

Guest oldskool

before i was the legal age for a firearms i always had a draw dog... sometimes it isnt always possible to get hold of the fox without risk of getting bit!! a good lurcher, IMO, is a good tool for a humane dispatch... although a gun is now always my prefferred method....

i never start a lurcher to fox by drawing because i dont want them to learn to catch foxes by the head as a way of killing them... i think the older you can wait then the better... some folk make the mistake of thinking because the dog is perhaps big that size will be enough. if hes very young then hes only a pup at heart, no matter how strong he looks :) ... perhaps he will be ready but then again perhaps he wont!! i dont like to take the risk although mistakes can happen...

thats my bit said, whether its dung or not, you decide :D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anytime ive dug to foxes ,its easier to lift the terrier

and the fox out together with your hands ,as most

terriers are locked onto there game as you break through ,i

honestly think that slipping a lurcher at the end

of a dig is madness , id ave rather { before ban } give the

fox a second chance and let it run ,as how many guys on

here has seen good lurchers missing them on the run .

boots yoused to do alot wi lurcher an terrier as a combo an when yeh say missing them on the run good lurchers yes mate on the lamp but in combo wi yeh terrier i havent seen as many lurchers as you make to miss good lurchers dont miss many day time mate i cant thinch the last bolted fox that got away from our lurchers an freaind lurchers pre ban of course

boots yoused to do alot wi lurcher an terrier as a combo an when yeh say missing them on the run good lurchers yes mate on the lamp but in combo wi yeh terrier i havent seen as many lurchers as you make to miss good lurchers dont miss many day time mate i cant thinch the last bolted fox that got away from our lurchers an freaind lurchers pre ban of course

what a load of bullshit every dog will miss no matter what dog you running think of the headges with sheep netting and double strand of barb on top each side where a fox can get away at and running dog gets no chance

what a load of bullshit every dog will miss no matter what dog you running think of the headges with sheep netting and double strand of barb on top each side where a fox can get away at and running dog gets no chance

listen mate dont now if youve done much wi terriers an lurcher but when we go foxing if they bolted from holes mate there dead like i say cant rember the last bolted fox ive seen getaway so what a load of bull shit listen mate dogs dont catch everythinck but bolted foxes should all die if yeh dog dont do it get rid an get yeh self another its shit

listen mate dont now if youve done much wi terriers an lurcher but when we go foxing if they bolted from holes mate there dead like i say cant rember the last bolted fox ive seen getaway so what a load of bull shit listen mate dogs dont catch everythinck but bolted foxes should all die if yeh dog dont do it get rid an get yeh self another its shit

talking bollocks mate i been brought up with terrier and lurchers all my life and i mean all my life ive seen some dogs working and i can honestly say that i dont fecking care who owns or wat dog it is you will not catch every fox that bolts if you say you can i will take you up on a few days earth checking and bolt a few to see you dogs to the job you say they do. so if you want a few days sport here in N ireland let me know and i will arrange it no probs

Guest Eamon.Mc

So I take it then some of you guys on here never used a lurcher pre ban for drawing fox??? It's legal here in Ireland to use a draw dog so until they put forward new legislation that says it's illegal to use them I think we should keep using them.They are working dogs bred for a purpose lets not dilute their instincts and ability because someone else says a firearm is more humane. It's about working dogs and that's that. Keep killing lads. ;)

were we fox on the hills we dont lose them gun nets lurchers but down in the lowlands , heavy cover railways , not alway suitable for lurchers ,nets and terreir ,and one lurcher at the most some times no lurcher as theres lots of roe and its not the first time the dogs have sat waiting for a bolt and a roe comes by to much hassle in day light, now if i need a draw dog i would prefer a big terreir like a wheaton etc gw pionter ,

So I take it then some of you guys on here never used a lurcher pre ban for drawing fox??? It's legal here in Ireland to use a draw dog so until they put forward new legislation that says it's illegal to use them I think we should keep using them.They are working dogs bred for a purpose lets not dilute their instincts and ability because someone else says a firearm is more humane.

i like that Eaman.well said.

folk shouldnt nock somebody elses legal right to do what they want with there dogs its not anyone elses buisness.

So I take it then some of you guys on here never used a lurcher pre ban for drawing fox??? It's legal here in Ireland to use a draw dog so until they put forward new legislation that says it's illegal to use them I think we should keep using them.They are working dogs bred for a purpose lets not dilute their instincts and ability because someone else says a firearm is more humane.

i like that Eaman.well said.

folk shouldnt nock somebody elses legal right to do what they want with there dogs its not anyone elses buisness.

eamon mate have a look at the law as it now stands,it's illegal to slip a dog in once you've opened the ground that goes for terriers in short as well,now it's not my place to tell anyone how to conduct themeselves in the field but remember that ignorance of the law is no defence in any european court.

the uspca and police are very active at the minute concerning digging for badgers but even if you're after fox you can still fall foul of the law if you're not careful

all the best.

Thanks lads! so do ye lads think he should see more foxes above on the lamp say and then let him draw or let him draw and then lamp him?

personaly mate at 15 months he is still to young(imo)i have seen a fare few dogs ruined by starting to young he might be showing great eagerness but to much could put him off i would give him a few then let him sit to next season and you will have him right cheers stevie