Vizsla - Learning to jump

My 7 month HWHV is really starting to come into his own now. I'm not expecting to much at such a young age and he's still getting distracted but so far I couldn't be happier with the small amount of training i've done. He's going to be a bit young for this season on the beating line ( will take him on the lead so he gets a bit of experience) . My question is about teaching to jump, I have started to say "over" when he is going in and out of the back door ( a drop / jump of about 8 inches). What age should I slowly start to introduce small jumps and then build up. At 7 moths he should be OK on the bone formation side of things (?) I'm not talking about straight into 5 bar gates and stuff, just assosiation with the word "over" and then jumping. Should I start to put my arm along the jump as if it is barbed wire from the beginning ?

Thanks in advance :signthankspin:

My 7 month HWHV is really starting to come into his own now. I'm not expecting to much at such a young age and he's still getting distracted but so far I couldn't be happier with the small amount of training i've done. He's going to be a bit young for this season on the beating line ( will take him on the lead so he gets a bit of experience) . My question is about teaching to jump, I have started to say "over" when he is going in and out of the back door ( a drop / jump of about 8 inches). What age should I slowly start to introduce small jumps and then build up. At 7 moths he should be OK on the bone formation side of things (?) I'm not talking about straight into 5 bar gates and stuff, just assosiation with the word "over" and then jumping. Should I start to put my arm along the jump as if it is barbed wire from the beginning ?

Thanks in advance :signthankspin:

Keep him away from barb till you know he is confident of the jump. I like to practice on a gate near me that is clad with rabbit netting, this way i have no worries of my pups putting there legs through and getting broken. Mine have been jumping from 5 months now and seems like everyday they are getting a bit higher, have to up the stakes shortly. :thumbs:

I use getting in an out of the car as a start, just like you.

I also use every chance I get when out and about.

Crossing a fallen log, give the command.

The pup isn't really jumping, more scrambling at this stage.

I wouldn't be in to much of a rush to teach jumpimg as you can use a fence to your advantage later on in steadying up the dog to dummies.

That said I've a 10month cocker that is now going over 6ft walls!!! Cant stop the mad thing, she loves it :tongue2:

He should be OK to start on low jumps at 7 months mate, i started my Lab at about 6 month, get him hunting through woodland with plenty of fallen trees and branches, he will start going over branches a couple of foot off the ground without even relising, then move onto low fences that you can step over and so on, but no barbed wire while training the pup.

ATB

Dave.