collie coated collie greyhound crosses

Its only my opinion but i would think it was imposible to get a brocken coat in lurchers that were only a mix of border collie and greyhound i have seen a few throw featherd that have been mistook for saluki hybreds but never spikey coated dogs .atb dell

I know for a fact that it can be done as the bitch i know of was a mateing of two half crosses, there was a dog in the litter that went to portland but never found out what happened to him. The bitch in north wales often gets mistaken for a saluki cross.One of the best dogs ive seen on the lamp to. The reverse cross throws the feathering sometimes depending on the collies used. I would be keen to put this back in my lines with out adding another breed.Just want that collie feathering to hide what they are, i dont poach or anything like that but have been pulled up by cops way to many times this year for my likeing.

I have also seen a few with the feathering but those i have seen with harsh slightly brocken coats [bANNED TEXT] you go back in their breeding theirs usualy some thing else in the mix .atb dell

The bitch hasnt a harsh coat like that of a bedlington but almost silky, cracking bitch . think ile have to go back to a straight collie, not going to add any thing else in, all this hassle to catch a poxy rabbit, sad bunch of twats we are !! ha ha

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only my opinion but i would think it was imposible to get a brocken coat in lurchers that were only a mix of border collie and greyhound i have seen a few throw featherd that have been mistook for saluki hybreds but never spikey coated dogs .atb dell

I know for a fact that it can be done as the bitch i know of was a mateing of two half crosses, there was a dog in the litter that went to portland but never found out what happened to him. The bitch in north wales often gets mistaken for a saluki cross.One of the best dogs ive seen on the lamp to. The reverse cross throws the feathering sometimes depending on the collies used. I would be keen to put this back in my lines with out adding another breed.Just want that collie feathering to hide what they are, i dont poach or anything like that but have been pulled up by cops way to many times this year for my likeing.

I have also seen a few with the feathering but those i have seen with harsh slightly brocken coats [bANNED TEXT] you go back in their breeding theirs usualy some thing else in the mix .atb dell

The bitch hasnt a harsh coat like that of a bedlington but almost silky, cracking bitch . think ile have to go back to a straight collie, not going to add any thing else in, all this hassle to catch a poxy rabbit, sad bunch of twats we are !! ha ha

Ha ha your right their.Thats wat D.Slieght did years ago put a streight collie over lurchers.I was with him one time [bANNED TEXT] the keepers approached us about running some hares and the keeper saying it carnt be Dave as he looked at his dogs saying their collies and turned their attention to his mate who had a black grew.atb dell

d slieghts old kizzy was collie grew back in the eighties it came through in milly katie cassy my luke some of his pups even bred to greyhound were still wiry along back ,does it matter what matters as the do work and can fill a pot ,d wallbie of lauder had three collies heavy short legged with wiry coats ,kizzy was afirst cross , the rest collie grew back to colly grey or m chapmans bob , there all there like the old last of the mohicans have a11 month pup out of the line she has acoat but not wiry

he put mike browns big choclated collie to cassie sister to kati and got a few nice dogs paul douglas got one maggie like a colie but faster saw it many atime one field trails twice not my type of bitch but she dine him proud

d slieghts old kizzy was collie grew back in the eighties it came through in milly katie cassy my luke some of his pups even bred to greyhound were still wiry along back ,does it matter what matters as the do work and can fill a pot ,d wallbie of lauder had three collies heavy short legged with wiry coats ,kizzy was afirst cross , the rest collie grew back to colly grey or m chapmans bob , there all there like the old last of the mohicans have a11 month pup out of the line she has acoat but not wiry

Coat makes no difference at all in terms of catching rabbits but as i said would be nice to have dogs that dont look like lurchers , if you see some one walking there collie the police dont blink an eyelid. If you have a lurcher you are up to no good and create unwanted attention either tho i dont poach. ive been pulled up by police 21 times since harvest last year, not all was with dogs but most.Also we get problems with lurcher theft round hear so i want adog that dosnt look "the part". Its looking like ile have to go back to a reverse cross or collie as i dont know any one who keeps such feathered type dogs.

Like has been said coat does not make a difference one bit as the collie crosses that do throw the odd one with the wirey coat from generations back have benefited with a bit of some thing else in their make up.Its also funny how a coulour can throw some body off wether its a lurcher or not i had a dark brindeld and white lurcher some years ago and from a distance people used to think she was a rangey border collie.atb dell

Interesting thread, this is Chad, he's 4 and hald months, massive feet and knee (could this mean a big dog ?) we were only saying the other day how similar to a collie coat he has, texture,colour everything it's the same, hope this is what you mean and Ive not misinterpretted it, Thanks Craig.misc006-1.jpg?t=1278934043

th_misc009.jpg?t=1278934372th_m.isc011.jpg?t=1278934481

th_misc011.jpg?t=1278934481

difficult to get across the texture of something, but it's very glossy, and very soft to the touch

Edited by Sully

Interesting thread, this is Chad, he's 4 and hald months, massive feet and knee (could this mean a big dog ?) we were only saying the other day how similar to a collie coat he has, texture,colour everything it's the same, hope this is what you mean and Ive not misinterpretted it, Thanks Craig.

Id be interested in seeing some pics . seems there are not many collie xs about anymore and even less with a coat . seems like i have a interesting task ahead!!

Coat makes no difference at all in terms of catching rabbits but as i said would be nice to have dogs that dont look like lurchers , if you see some one walking there collie the police dont blink an eyelid. If you have a lurcher you are up to no good and create unwanted attention either tho i dont poach. ive been pulled up by police 21 times since harvest last year, not all was with dogs but most.Also we get problems with lurcher theft round hear so i want adog that dosnt look "the part". Its looking like ile have to go back to a reverse cross or collie as i dont know any one who keeps such feathered type dogs.

Always liked the look of 3/4 collie 1/4 grey dogs .

just be worried it would be too highly strung like a pure,

its nice to have a dog that knows when to switch off if you know what i mean :thumbs: