converting quickset to dropnet

chimp

i done one a while ago need to make up some attachments which slide over the poles that you will use to drop the net but will grip the poles that the net is attached too. for the relase mec all i do was to drill holes in the pole a use nails attached to to pull cord worked a treat. the only thing i did find is that the bagging needs to be sewn in hope that helps

post-25004-040423500 1278192458_thumb.jpg

post-25004-040571200 1278192775_thumb.jpg

buy some fiberglass poles off ebay and get some plastic pipe the same lenth as the fiberglass poles then all you need to do is fix the net on the pipe then all you need to do is measure were you want the holes in the pipe but dont drill into the fiberglass poles as you want the retaining pin on the top of the fiberglass poles. i used paper clips as the retaining pins and all i used for the pull cord was fishing line and i run that out for about 200yards i had my mates set up so it was about 50 to 60 cm off the floor worked perfect but u need to leave it set up in the area for at least 2nights so thay get used to it being there then on a really good night pull the cord then run the rabbits into the net. one tip make sure you have it set nice and tight and use a peg on the bottom run lines so it hold the nets tight so it dont drape across the floor but when a rabbit hits it all the bagging is still there

Couple of great ideas here. Its my first trip into the land of longnetting and have been trying to solve this very problem. Made my own drop net but my idea was rubbish as the drop was far too slow as the rabbits are in small fields so the net needs to drop quick.

If anyone has anymore ideas I am very interested.

Or even in a lift net idea.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Andy

Couple of great ideas here. Its my first trip into the land of longnetting and have been trying to solve this very problem. Made my own drop net but my idea was rubbish as the drop was far too slow as the rabbits are in small fields so the net needs to drop quick.

Andy

Hello Andy-welcome to the forum.

Graham :thumbs:

Andy

Hello Andy sniper7 here you should get brian brindeds dvd on longnetting some great tips in that i use lift nets in the smaller fields they work a treat.

Think I have solved the problem. Got some 12mm steel 36" poles made up and then got some overflow pipe cut it down into 36" lengths put a cotter pin through the overflow so it sits on top of the steel attached the cord and net and 70yds drops as one. So I am happy. Net was in place before on Hazels so will give it a day otr two before dropping but the practice runs are hopeful as it all comes down as one.

Got the bagging at the ends though next to the poles to give clearance under the net for them to get use to it does this matter.

Oh hi Graham that one I shot as you rang I couldn't find hey ho.

Andy

someone had a video of one working with a remote , trying to find it ... :tongue2:

That would be good.

A RC car servo would do the trick the way mine drops, as once you put any movement on the drop pins they will all fall out in a straight line.

Only trouble would be someone stealing it.

Up in the loft later to dig out the old RC car

Andy

Think I have solved the problem. Got some 12mm steel 36" poles made up and then got some overflow pipe cut it down into 36" lengths put a cotter pin through the overflow so it sits on top of the steel attached the cord and net and 70yds drops as one. So I am happy. Net was in place before on Hazels so will give it a day otr two before dropping but the practice runs are hopeful as it all comes down as one.

Got the bagging at the ends though next to the poles to give clearance under the net for them to get use to it does this matter.

Oh hi Graham that one I shot as you rang I couldn't find hey ho.

Andy

How much clearance under the net does 36"poles give you?

Y.I.S Leeview

How much clearance under the net does 36"poles give you?

Y.I.S Leeview

Aabout 12" or more in most of the run allowing for some bagging drifting along. Mostly it is loosely gathered at one end and placed behind the pole. On the practice drops it simply falls free. I am hoping that when hit it will even itself out. But as I am new to this I don't know what will happen.

Andy

• 1 month later...