just got in from an early morning mooch on my new permission ,was not sure what i was going to see, any way drove up a field and unloaded my gear and got rifle loaded ,walked about 300 yrd and saw movement of a deer ,a never stalked it as a did not know what is was buck or doe ,just kept to the perimeter and then saw it again this time it i clicked it was a buck and not happy as it made a few grunts at me or warning others

it was walking in a rape field headland so i knew it would have to come out of there as its too thick to get away

i then saw it in the field with a good back stop it saw me so i calmly laid down and stalked about 40 m to get a good shot ,it turned side on but not fully and my exit would have been throughribs via the guts so i left this for another day

so i got back in the vehicle and headed to another stretch of land soon as i got out i heard cries of either deer or a vixen barking in the distance so i headed that way ,i came across a big russle in the wood and then the barks of a deer not sure of sex then i came across a doe eating some dumped wheat and she took of and barked into the wood

the next walk i saw a deer in the setaside and to my amazement it was one hell of a buck so i came down through some rough and up the other side again im new to this and he again twigged me so i calmly walked to other side of the field this time he just stood looking a got my sights on him fully broad side only to be unsafe to shoot (no back stop) he was one big buck

so i let him wander off un scared of me hoping i'll cross him some time

a good walk out with two decent bucks ,very clean but coats still a good red in them

They should be very red now and for the next few months its the colour they are in the summer.

You should maybe have another recon or 2 before you shoot any deer and just assess what there is.

Or at best just shoot any prickets you come accross, seems a little unfair to shoot your big bucks 3 weeks short of the rut. :thumbs:

I managed to pick one up this morning, still had some winter coat in him which is a shame as I want a new rug :thumbs: . He had managed to break off his back point and brow tine on his left antler at some point this year. He was in the binos within a couple of minutes of leaving the car but took a while to get into due to the wind. There was a bit of pre rut activity with a doe too, which was nice to see.

Ser7b.jpg

i see your point john i was just having a look really and see what its all about if i did shoot the 1st 1 i saw i would have gone home any way

yes the big bucks are about up here

with your experience where would i come across prickets ,as the dominant male will obvious take them away from the grounds their on ? or as its the rut you might get the odd one thinking he s the man but really has no chance :boxing:

i have a lot to learn i must admit at the end of the day i will only take half dozen if that a year if im bloody lucky

i need a book to read as when the does come in i need info of which ones to take and not to take

but i have a lot of does on this new permission

ps well done treacle

Yes well done T>T.

The prickets can turn up anywhere at this time of year most in the rape and beans around here but they are always looking for a quick leg over when the big bucks are busy fraying or chasing off another buck.

So watch your does as the rut develops the bucks in evey shape and size will not be to far away. :thumbs: