.303 Enfield

Hi all,

I fancy an old MK4 Enfield,does anybody on here own / use one?

If so a couple of questions if you don't mind:

When buying an old rifle how do I check that it's still in proof?

Compared to something like a .44 Magnum what's the recoil like?

Thanks very much,

Mick.

The only way to be sure it's still in proof is have it proofed! Military weapons were proofed to well beyond civvy standards, since they were likely to fire many more rounds than any sporting gun, so unless you have reason to suspect someone has been putting wildcats through it I wouldn't worry. Keep to mil spec ammo and you should have no problems.

As to kick - are you serious? A .303 Lee-Enfield is right on the edge of maximum recoil for a shoulder fired weapon. Google "recoil chuck hawkes" and you will see that only the 30-06 was heavier. I owned a Mk IV and I could'nt hit a damn thing firing offhand! Now, lying down firing with a bipod . . . What a fantastic bit of kit! I make no claim to being a particularly good shot but I could put 10 rounds in a 12" group at 300 yards with iron sights any time you asked. A guy in my club could put 10 in a 6ft group with Parker-Hale 1/8th moa peep sights at 1000, repeat 1000, yards. With modern glass sights and hand rolled ammo you'll outshoot most of the fancy-pants BR boys.

Great gun, make the best of it

ATB,

Ric

Hi all,

I fancy an old MK4 Enfield,does anybody on here own / use one?

If so a couple of questions if you don't mind:

When buying an old rifle how do I check that it's still in proof?

Compared to something like a .44 Magnum what's the recoil like?

Thanks very much,

Mick.

I used to have one years back. Recoil isn't that bad but is at he upper end of what you would get in a military rifle. It's more than you get from a .44 mag rifle, about what you'd get from a .308, although you probably perceive it as being a bit stiffer as the stock isn't particularly well designed to manage recoil. The main contributing factor to recoil (other than gun weight) is bullet weight, a .303 uses about a 170-180 grain bullet which moves a bit slower than the same weight bullet in a .308. It's easily manageable - hundreds of millions of rounds were fired through these things in two world wars and numerous other conflicts without too many problems.

As to proof. It's unlikely that it would be out of proof, if it was it's probably going to be obvious on inspection. If you're buying it from a dealer then its even less likely to be as it would be an offence for him to sell it.

I don't have the precise wording in front of me but a gun goes out of proof if the strength of a provable part is "significantly reduced" (or words to that effect). That usually means through some work done to it or by very heavy corrosion, or similar.

Jackson rifles - who sell mods - have a Counsel's Opinion on the requirement to have rifles re-proved after thread cutting on their web site. That opinion concludes that it is not necessary and thread cutting requires removing metal from the barrel. Well, they used to but it seems to be gone now.

J.

I travelled to here a few week ago, i see 3 new no4 price £325 - was only use for soldier yard display in European country, no more than 100 shot from > http://www.henrykrank.com/rifles_carbines_shotguns.html . he also has very nice blond model.

Ah that kind of blond model...

Cheers Clint, going to have a drive up there on Tuesday.

Mick.