Shivering whippets

this might be to simple but you say its your mums dog if shes anything like my mum never letting the heat go below 30.c in the house this might be the reason, to much of a temperature change from being very roasty to coming out in poor weather conditions might shock the system a little and being a whippet might be a little more suseptible to the big change. maybe this might be your problem.

hope this might help

atb jamie

p.s i know its simple and i hope i dont offend you or you think im daft in mentioning it but sometimes it can be the little things lol

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol, whippets shiver coz they are cold pal. Take one out on a hard winters morning, and your fun will be cut short... get a x mate, dont know where you have heard that a whippet is better than a whipp

Posted Images

Trust me it doesn't shiver because of adrenaline, its when it stops and its windy or wet, he shivers and looks miserable because hes nesh and i can understand why. She has got a good coat for him in winter. My old whippet wasn't as nesh and was good worker of rabbits although lacked the coursing stamina for hare, he would soon tire on a up hill course. And i have heard it many a time that whippets are better than whippet lurchers....saying that you are taking away more from a good dog than adding too it. That kelpie lurcher looks well suited to the job of rabbiting. Whats it like at catching in small fields?

It's probably because your mums dog hasn't got the same bulk of conditioned muscle as a working whippet does. :hmm: I'd have thought a conditioned working whippet would be more efficient at keeping itself warm due to having more mass and a stronger cardiovascular system.

i would agree with that i have got 2 whippets one is 4 years old and has never worked more of a house pet the other is 17 months and starting to work when i take them both out the older one shivers like mad and the other one is so keen to work the weather dont seem to bother her hope this helps.

The whippet in question is in very good shape and in all honesty...i would stick my neck and say that it gets a lot more exercise than most dogs. My mom takes them on two good walks a day....she fanatical about waking the dogs in the woods....its her priority. Her dogs sleep outside in a kennel with hay. She takes them out in all weathers. I can't see that a working whippet is any better equiped to put up with the elements than any other whippet.

My first dog was a whippet and i have many fond memories of him, but since him i have had lurchers. Now, my mom has a year old whippet and when stood still for more than a few mins in anything other than hot weather he shivers like he can't wait to get back home. Do you find that most whippets are like this are is it just a minority (i cant remember my old one being too bad). You see in the future i was wanting a fast little catch dog,,very small fields where i hunt...but the more i see my mothers dog the more im thinking of a small lurcher instead. Something like 3/4 whippet 1/4 bed or collie/greyhound back to whippet...but then i hear you are better using a whippet than a whippet cross...what you think?

its been done to death fella put a search on whippets you will find all you need

by the way whippets dont shiver because their cold it adrenaline they are hyper

lol, whippets shiver coz they are cold pal. Take one out on a hard winters morning, and your fun will be cut short... get a x mate, dont know where you have heard that a whippet is better than a whippetx..

You've obviously been out with shit whippets :icon_eek:

that needs to go on the post "classic statements on hunting life" lol

Why? Whats the point of keeping a whippet that if you got out 'on a hard winters morning your fun will be cut short' due to its inability to handle the conditions? That my friend would be one shit whippet and if this is your experience of whippets then i am suggesting that you have been out with shit whippets. See the logic? That is if your judgement is based on first hand witness?

Trust me it doesn't shiver because of adrenaline, its when it stops and its windy or wet, he shivers and looks miserable because hes nesh and i can understand why. She has got a good coat for him in winter. My old whippet wasn't as nesh and was good worker of rabbits although lacked the coursing stamina for hare, he would soon tire on a up hill course. And i have heard it many a time that whippets are better than whippet lurchers....saying that you are taking away more from a good dog than adding too it. That kelpie lurcher looks well suited to the job of rabbiting. Whats it like at catching in small fields?

It's probably because your mums dog hasn't got the same bulk of conditioned muscle as a working whippet does. :hmm: I'd have thought a conditioned working whippet would be more efficient at keeping itself warm due to having more mass and a stronger cardiovascular system.

i would agree with that i have got 2 whippets one is 4 years old and has never worked more of a house pet the other is 17 months and starting to work when i take them both out the older one shivers like mad and the other one is so keen to work the weather dont seem to bother her hope this helps.

The whippet in question is in very good shape and in all honesty...i would stick my neck and say that it gets a lot more exercise than most dogs. My mom takes them on two good walks a day....she fanatical about waking the dogs in the woods....its her priority. Her dogs sleep outside in a kennel with hay. She takes them out in all weathers. I can't see that a working whippet is any better equiped to put up with the elements than any other whippet.

Dogs are like people - they are all different and so feel the cold differently etc Some can handle it no problem and others can't. Also if they have been indulged when they look cold they will play it up - their sly wee things sometimes. If it knows that it gets to go home when its home time and not before they often just man up.

My first dog was a whippet and i have many fond memories of him, but since him i have had lurchers. Now, my mom has a year old whippet and when stood still for more than a few mins in anything other than hot weather he shivers like he can't wait to get back home. Do you find that most whippets are like this are is it just a minority (i cant remember my old one being too bad). You see in the future i was wanting a fast little catch dog,,very small fields where i hunt...but the more i see my mothers dog the more im thinking of a small lurcher instead. Something like 3/4 whippet 1/4 bed or collie/greyhound back to whippet...but then i hear you are better using a whippet than a whippet cross...what you think?

its been done to death fella put a search on whippets you will find all you need

lol, whippets shiver coz they are cold pal. Take one out on a hard winters morning, and your fun will be cut short... get a x mate, dont know where you have heard that a whippet is better than a whippetx..

Why? Whats the point of keeping a whippet that if you got out 'on a hard winters morning your fun will be cut short' due to its inability to handle the conditions? That my friend would be one shit whippet and if this is your experience of whippets then i am suggesting that you have been out with shit whippets. See the logic? That is if your judgement is based on first hand witness?

Yeah, good explanation, and yes i see your point. But i have been out with bullx's that are excellent workers that shiver on a cold winters wet day mate.. Also rough coated whippetxsaluki, shivers. So i feel your pheory is incorrect...

Yeah, good explanation, and yes i see your point. But i have been out with bullx's that are excellent workers that shiver on a cold winters wet day mate.. Also rough coated whippetxsaluki, shivers. So i feel your pheory is incorrect...

Yes i agree i have seen dogs of all breeds and x shiver at some point. Shivering i don't mind, as long as it isnt accompanied by whining and looking for somewhere warm and dry to run off to! Like i said - i think some dogs just do and some don't. There are definatly some whippets that can't handle adverse weather, however i have yet to see a good Laguna whippet give in.

Yes i agree i have seen dogs of all breeds and x shiver at some point. Shivering i don't mind, as long as it isnt accompanied by whining and looking for somewhere warm and dry to run off to! Like i said - i think some dogs just do and some don't. There are definatly some whippets that can't handle adverse weather, however i have yet to see a good Laguna whippet give in.

Yes but we werent talk laguna, we were talking whippets in general.... lagunas are like a different dog..

Yes but we werent talk laguna, we were talking whippets in general.... lagunas are like a different dog..

Aye we were talking whippets in general, did they shiver, hate the weather and cut your night short. And as Laguna whippets are whippets, i feel they can be part of this discussion. The o/p asked if all whippets shivered and so i'm saying no, from my experience of laguna WHIPPETS they do not shiver or fear pretty much anything. And if that means that you don't class them as whippets, then fair enough. But they are.

' lagunas are like a different dog" :clapper:

As in?????

As in?????

I know i was trying to refrain . . . did the man not start a classic thl comments thread as well?

As in?????

I know i was trying to refrain . . . did the man not start a classic thl comments thread as well?

needs to stick to fishing :whistling:

Hahaha...Sorry should have refrased it, you are right course they are a whippet but the whippet in question wasnt a laguna. They are a different strain of whippet. stronger, bigger, tougher. Like say, a Bullx, and a whippet/grey, they are both lurchers. But different dogs...

Padbarr, i should have stuck to fishing, meaning......?? I shouldnt be hunting. well for one i wouldnt entertain hunting with a whippet, as they arent in the catogory in which i hunt, and what was your return for last season my friend... without getting bitchy.... just because i think whippets shiver, lol....

And, ye, i did start the topic, it was a cracker....