cuppa and buiscuits, cake even better,lol

Correct.

Just be relaxed & pleasant. Make sure you have a good reason for each of the calibres that you are applying for (e.g target shooting, vermin, small game, foxes, etc) & that you are aware of safety when shooting:

It is an offence to have any firearm in a public place, unless safely covered with a securely fastened gun cover that prevents it from being fired.

Never load a gun until it is safe to fire it.

Always ensure that you are authorised by the landowner or person with the sporting rights to shoot where you intend to, and that you know precisely where the boundaries are (also make yourself aware of any public footpaths/right of way, where there could be a possibility of other people being present).

Never shoot beyond the boundaries of the land where you have permission to shoot, unless the occupier of the neighbouring land has also given you permission.

It is also against the law, in England and Wales, to fire a rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway.

Before you fire your rifle, consider where the bullet could go. Be sure that no damage can result if you miss your intended target, ensure there is a sufficient backstop (never fire skyward, you don't know where it is going to land).

Always bear in mind the possibility of a ricochet. If shooting on rocky land, this is a good reason for applying for a ,17 HMR (bullet breaks up on impact & dramatically reduces chance of any ricochet).

Always store your airgun securely in a safe place. Make sure it is unloaded and not cocked.

Good luck.

cuppa and buiscuits, cake even better,lol

Correct.

Just be relaxed & pleasant. Make sure you have a good reason for each of the calibres that you are applying for (e.g target shooting, vermin, small game, foxes, etc) & that you are aware of safety when shooting:

It is an offence to have any firearm in a public place, unless safely covered with a securely fastened gun cover that prevents it from being fired.

Never load a gun until it is safe to fire it.

Always ensure that you are authorised by the landowner or person with the sporting rights to shoot where you intend to, and that you know precisely where the boundaries are (also make yourself aware of any public footpaths/right of way, where there could be a possibility of other people being present).

Never shoot beyond the boundaries of the land where you have permission to shoot, unless the occupier of the neighbouring land has also given you permission.

It is also against the law, in England and Wales, to fire a rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway.

Before you fire your rifle, consider where the bullet could go. Be sure that no damage can result if you miss your intended target, ensure there is a sufficient backstop (never fire skyward, you don't know where it is going to land).

Always bear in mind the possibility of a ricochet. If shooting on rocky land, this is a good reason for applying for a ,17 HMR (bullet breaks up on impact & dramatically reduces chance of any ricochet).

Always store your airgun securely in a safe place. Make sure it is unloaded and not cocked.

Good luck.

thank you very much that is very helpful and youve obviously taken some time to write that!

"It is an offence to have any firearm in a public place, unless safely covered with a securely fastened gun cover that prevents it from being fired"

Not actually correct.There is no law that says you to have to have it covered. It may be very sensible but it's not law.

Have a look at the firearms act.The law states "without reasonable excuse" not covered.

And the law against discharging a firearm within 50 feet of the centre of a public carriageway applies only where such a discharge causes delay, injury or danger to a person using the highway.

He's there to try and help you get through and get your licence. He knows the system, so ask lots of questions and show willing to make reasonable adjustments according to his advice. That doesn't mean that if you think he's being unreasonable you can't say so, and if you put your point across politely and lucidly he'll probably be happy to try and meet you in the middle.

I had my interview today, and the guy was very helpful. He has suggested a mentor, despite me having quite a bit of experience with full bore. He was looking for evidence of rifle use, which I can't provide as I've lost touch with the people I used to shoot with! I've got the DSC1 though, thought that should be enough. Ho hum.

Anyway, enough thread drift. As long as you can show that you have good reason to hold the firearms, and can prove that you either have relevant experience and are safe, or are training or being mentored, then you should have no worries.

Interesting info from my FEO, they don't actually make any decisions any more. They are purely there to gather the required information. The decision on issuing a certificate or not is made by the firearms licensing manager, directly delegated from the chief police officer. The FEO's opinion obviously carries a lot of weight, but they can't decide, nor can they give you a yes/no answer, they can only say whether their report will be positive or negative in tone.

• 2 weeks later...

hey everyone i am sure it is going to be okay but does anyone have any last minute tips for my FAC interview on thursday?

thanks,

Declan

Hi Declan.

How did your interview go, did you get everything that you asked for?

Mine came thro 3 weeks after the interview, & amazingly an open ticket on 1st application.

Steve

Dont worry just tell him what experience you have had over the years.

My 14 year old got a 6.5 x 55,.243, .17 + .22 plus shot gun licence when interveiwed.

cheers

Really ? :blink:

They only just gave a me a .22

Depends on the circumstances of the individual application though.

J.

hey everyone i am sure it is going to be okay but does anyone have any last minute tips for my FAC interview on thursday?

thanks,

Declan

Hi Declan.

How did your interview go, did you get everything that you asked for?

Mine came thro 3 weeks after the interview, & amazingly an open ticket on 1st application.

Steve

the interview went really well and i got exactly what i wanted (.22, .243, benelli semi-auto)

mine arrived 6 days after the interview. only thing is that it is closed but unsurprising seeing as i am not even 17 yet and a condition on the .243 that i must be supervised until i do DSC 1 or i can get a letter in the future from a mentor saying i am sufficient in all needed to be a stalker.

Maybe because had shotguns for over 15 yrs?

Maybe because put in permission for too many pieces of land to put on certificate? 5 large farms & over 3k acres.

Must admit that the 1st question that my RFD asked was " How the hell did you manage that?"

BUT would not give me 'Target shooting', until had been made a full member of a recognised Rifle Club, am full member in a couple of weeks & will have to send certificate back for target to be added.

I think that each granting force,for all the different areas, have different criteria?

Maybe because had shotguns for over 15 yrs?

Maybe because put in permission for too many pieces of land to put on certificate? 5 large farms & over 3k acres.

Must admit that the 1st question that my RFD asked was " How the hell did you manage that?"

BUT would not give me 'Target shooting', until had been made a full member of a recognised Rifle Club, am full member in a couple of weeks & will have to send certificate back for target to be added.

I think that each granting force,for all the different areas, have different criteria?

He doesn't have a choice in this respect. If your good reason is "target shooting" then it is a requirement in law that you be a full member of a club approved by the Home Office for the type of firearm you are applying for.

However, it makes little difference as I think a range use condition is put on as standard anyway of you have land use. Eeven if it wasn't you are a probationary member of the club so your use of your rifle (or any rifle, for that matter) at the club range is catered for by the club's Home Office approval.

J.

The wordig Ive seen on lots of certs includes target practice and zeroing. Add o that the fact that you are approved for any land approved by the police for the calibre of rifle, and the fact that any club range has to be Home Office, and therefore police approved, and you can use the rifle there quite legally!