Pump actions

James you may be one of the few who can use it sucessfully, i've seen many try to use it and they never kept them,

i respect your view, but don't think many people will get to grips with it...

Snap. :thumbs:

I use both semi and pump and especially when decoying I prefer the pump because semis are restricted to 2+1 shots, pumps aren't.

and I hit double clays when shooting skeet as well as 3-4 crows in a row...

Not quite. Under the law, any shotgun that has the capacity to fire more than 3 rounds (1 in the chaber, 2 in the mag) without reloading is classed as a section 1 firearm, and so a firearms certificate is required rather than a shotgun certificate. This is true no matter what the action type is, be it semi-auto, pump, lever action or whatever other action you can think of.

november is in germany according to his profile......i think they have different laws

i know in france semi autos are also restricted to 2+1

I've owned my pair of 12-guage Winchester Model 1200 pump-guns for a quarter century now, with not one mechanical defect to mention. Over the years, I learned to cycle rounds through them with sufficient speed to deliver accurate follow-up shots at fast-flying partridge, or deer breaking cover and taking off full-throttle.

Winchester pump guns do not have the brand name recognition of the Remington 870 pump issued to many police departments in the US, but these old Winchesters are good enough for this low-budget hunter. I have one of the 1200 pumps set up in standard scattergun configuration for buckshot and bird-shot, and the other fitted with a rifled slug barrel and telescopic sight mounted on a "saddle", creating a weapon that is capable of delivering sufficient impact to drop a bull elephant in full charge, though I have never and will never hunt those magnificent beasts.

I've owned my pair of 12-guage Winchester Model 1200 pump-guns for a quarter century now, with not one mechanical defect to mention. Over the years, I learned to cycle rounds through them with sufficient speed to deliver accurate follow-up shots at fast-flying partridge, or deer breaking cover and taking off full-throttle.

Winchester pump guns do not have the brand name recognition of the Remington 870 pump issued to many police departments in the US, but these old Winchesters are good enough for this low-budget hunter. I have one of the 1200 pumps set up in standard scattergun configuration for buckshot and bird-shot, and the other fitted with a rifled slug barrel and telescopic sight mounted on a "saddle", creating a weapon that is capable of delivering sufficient impact to drop a bull elephant in full charge, though I have never and will never hunt those magnificent beasts.

Send me a link to where you got your saddle from please, Ive been looking for ages and cant find one for mine (winchester 120 ranger pump) I think the 1200, 1300 and 120 are pretty much the same thing....ish

I've had that scope mount for a few years now, Dan, so I don't recall exactly where I placed the order, however I did find this link for an identical product.

http://www.sbdglobaloptics.com/Winchester-1200-1300-1400-1500-12ga./M/B002XWVNJA.htm Runs about $75 USD

And another vendor below that costs much less at ten bucks US, though I must add that I chose the one in the above link http://www.cdnninvestments.com/win12weavsty.html

If you decide to fit one of these be sure and avoid tightening the attachment screw too much. Work the action of the gun's slide, as you tighten that bolt that replaces the stock one in the trigger guard, and STOP tightening that bolt as soon as you feel the action offer resistance as you move it. Loosen that bolt off a hair, if needed, till you get smooth slide action again.

Edited by swamp thang

I have both, and find the semi is more useable for me. It reloads quicker than I can pump and ive only ever had 2 jams out of ten of thousands of cartridges ive put through it. In all fairness I only bought the pump because i wanted a hushpower one, but lying in the field stalking rabbits the "click click" rambo style noise of the pump tends to sound louder than the actual gunshot.

Jackin the Box made a good point about the pesky noise that pump actions make when you work the action and chamber a round from the magazine. I get around that problem by loading my first cartridge through the breech, with the slide pulled back just enough to get the round past the bolt. With that, the action closes with a very quiet click that is even less audible than shifting the safety off on my Lamber Over/Under double-barrel shotgun.

Follow-up shots are no problem from a noise standpoint, bacause I rack in a new round before the roar of the preceding shot subsides.