I measured the OAL needed for my mauser the other week, and well theres no posible way of geting the bullet to touch the rifleing and get it in the case. So i was thinking, my vit reloading manual states for 144gr heads used a OAL of 3.110. so say i raised this length to 3.223 (so its still inside the case and holding but nearer the rifleing on the gun. Is this acceptable, and i gather from what i read that this will increase the pressure therefore needing less powder???

I measured the OAL needed for my mauser the other week, and well theres no posible way of geting the bullet to touch the rifleing and get it in the case. So i was thinking, my vit reloading manual states for 144gr heads used a OAL of 3.110. so say i raised this length to 3.223 (so its still inside the case and holding but nearer the rifleing on the gun. Is this acceptable, and i gather from what i read that this will increase the pressure therefore needing less powder???

Just my tuppence worth. Don't bother, the OAL would be far too long.

John

It all depends on the throat of the rifle, in older rifles the throat is so long that the jump to the lands would mean that the OAL of the round would leave the bullet tottering on the edge of the case.

In which case, it is far better to spend your time making cases concentric and each round as close a clone as possible. Fact is a 1945 Mauser will never be as accurate as a 2010 target rifle.

Enjoy the rifle for what it is, match the bullet length to the rifling twist, make each round as close to each other as you can and be happy.

John