How to bring a bitch into Season?

My Lurcher bitch is 7 years old this Oct. From the age of 6 months old she has come into season every 6 months. I have never had a litter of pups out of her but now I feel she has proven herself over and over again to warrant breeding from. I have found the right dog but ..... she was due to come into season February 2010 but she hasn't so has any one got any ideas how to bring her into season?

So far i've put weight on her which someone sugested and also kenneled her with one of my terriers that was in season in the hope it would fetch her into season. I really need to breed her as I owned her parents fron 10 weeks of age and worked there parents so know this breeding through out. I don't really want to take her to the vets for a jab to bring her in really I would like her to come into season naturally.

I've had Lurchers for over 20 Years and never come accross this problem but then again i've only ever had one litter of Lurchers, which this bitch was from.

Any ideas anyone?

I wouldn't think it matters but the breeding of the bitch is.

Saluki / Greyhound x Greyhound / Whippet (Sam the Man) Cross Saluki / Greyhound x Greyhound Collie (FINA)

Edited by MRD

personally i would say leave her to come in naturally mate

Thats what I want to do but i'm getting itchy feet. I really don't want to buy a pup in.

Would you believe it? Her litter sister that is owned by a good friend has just come into season!! How chuffed was I when he told me! He is breeding her with my Greyhound so thats me sorted.

(Just my luck that my bitch will come into season now!!)

I dont think you can get a bitch to come into season.Could be wrong JMHO.atb. Catcher. thumbs.gif

Your right. But you can give them a helping hand! She's worth waiting for. It just means i'll be having two pups! Don't tell my missus. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Would you believe it? Her litter sister that is owned by a good friend has just come into season!! How chuffed was I when he told me! He is breeding her with my Greyhound so thats me sorted.

(Just my luck that my bitch will come into season now!!)

UPDATE!!

No work on this morning so 4.15am the alarm goes off. After a large coffee to wake me up my Lurcher bitch that refused to come into season is put on the leed aswell as my Greyhound dog and one of the terriers. Out for around 2 hours did'nt see much but bagged a bit of ferret food. All day i've been walking past the kennels to and from my allotment nothing unusual happening in the kennels. Well 5.30pm and i've just been to feed all the dogs. Guess what? MY BITCH HAS COME INTO SEASON!!! You could say i'm over the moon!

Specially when my friend fetched her litter sister to breed with my Greyhound and she would'nt stand.

I have two russel bitches and they seem to bring each other into season they are kenneled together ,If she gets on with her sister try kenneling them together,There was another post on here where a hunt kennelman had the problem of bitches bringing each other into season,got to be worth a try....