How long can an incubator be off without affecting the eggs? We went away for the night and when we came back had 3 dead chicks under a lamp and the eggs in the incubator were cold. If I candle them can I tell if the chicks are alive or not? It could possibly have been off for say maximum 24 hrs eg lunchtime - lunchtime. I have no idea how long it was off. Has anyone else had a problem like this or knows how long the eggs are ok for?

Thanks

Outsider

I saved all those eggs up for this hatch :(

WELL MATE ,

YRS AND YRS AGO I MET AN OLD BREEDER OF POULTRY THAT WAS A SURGEON .............. WHILE I WAS VISITING HE NOTICED THE INCUBATOR HAD GONE OFF ......... THE EGGS WERE STONE COLD , HE GOT HIS STETHOSCOPE AND WE COULD JUST MAKE OUT THE FAINT BEAT OF THE CHICKS HEARTS INSIDE BEATING ........... THE EGGS WERE LEFT IN AND WENT ON TO GIVE A 60 % HATCH ........ EVER SINCE IVE ALWAYS GIVEN THEM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT

DUCKWING :big_boss:

:thumbs:

WELL MATE ,

YRS AND YRS AGO I MET AN OLD BREEDER OF POULTRY THAT WAS A SURGEON .............. WHILE I WAS VISITING HE NOTICED THE INCUBATOR HAD GONE OFF ......... THE EGGS WERE STONE COLD , HE GOT HIS STETHOSCOPE AND WE COULD JUST MAKE OUT THE FAINT BEAT OF THE CHICKS HEARTS INSIDE BEATING ........... THE EGGS WERE LEFT IN AND WENT ON TO GIVE A 60 % HATCH ........ EVER SINCE IVE ALWAYS GIVEN THEM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT

all depends on how long your eggs were in for the less time they had to hatch the better chicks can live 24 hours or more if they only have 3 or 4 days left to go :thumbs:

:thumbs:

WELL MATE ,

all depends on how long your eggs were in for the less time they had to hatch the better chicks can live 24 hours or more if they only have 3 or 4 days left to go :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

They'd been in a week.

Well, just to let anyone who is interested know, so far today I have 11 bantams and 2 still chipping from this hatch!

13 now (1 died) - am leaving incubator on still to ee if any more come out!