dog caught in snare

i was out for a walk with the dogs this evening. when my girlfriends pointer got on a scent and followed his nose. he pushed his way threw some braken and threw a hole in the fence. i then heard him strugglin with some thing. to be honest at first i though our luck was in and he had caught hold of some thing. but no he was caught up in a snare. it had him round the neck good and propper.has this happend to any one else

Nose down bushers always get caught up in snares left by people who dont know how to set them right.

Loads of shoots in our area and there are plenty of snares left on ground but with permission granted most locations are known and avoided.

I always try to keep all dogs in sight, I never let them wander, hard to do with bush rushers I know but it does happen from time to time.

The old gin traps were worst, seen plenty a working dog maimed and put down through them things.

was out with the dogs last year lost my lurcher bitch for about 20 mins felt longer so went down the woods to look for her got a good bit down just by chance the young pup found the bitch or i would of walked passed her. she had a fox snare round her leg was swollen pretty bad . got the dog back home and sorted out the bitch then went back to the snare camped out for a few hours to catch the culprit who left the snare but no show the lucky fecker or i would of taught him a thing or two :yes:

Were these snares laid illegally ? ie by poachers or as a means of pest control ? if its the later then you guys have no right to complain about snares,you should be checking with the land owner when you get permission if snares are laid and in what area's they are ! and your dogs should be undr control....i could see your point if its the snares that shouldnt be there !

ATB

gerron

Were these snares laid illegally ? ie by poachers or as a means of pest control ? if its the later then you guys have no right to complain about snares,you should be checking with the land owner when you get permission if snares are laid and in what area's they are ! and your dogs should be undr control....i could see your point if its the snares that shouldnt be there !

ATB

gerron

:clapper: Well said mate you are 100% correct. Snares are set for the purpose of catching things that shouldn't be there and if they are set properly and checked regularly then no one has anything to moan about.

ATB

gerron

They werent complaining about the snares! They simply asked if it had happened to anyone else...

And wether it be gamekeeper snares, or poachers snares, it makes no difference. Poachers have been here for 100's of years, and will be for many more. Have you never walked over land with no permission on it...

If you were on a shooting estate common sense would stipulate you should have asked the landowner or gamekeeper if there were any snares or traps on his land.

Rights of way laws grant you use for responsible access - not the right to have dogs roaming free near livestock/gamebirds/sensitive areas etc.

If your dog had came to any harm, you would be liable not the estate.

FTB

ATB

gerron

They werent complaining about the snares! They simply asked if it had happened to anyone else...

And wether it be gamekeeper snares, or poachers snares, it makes no difference. Poachers have been here for 100's of years, and will be for many more. Have you never walked over land with no permission on it...

More directed towards hornet and chesters replies i would say?

Quite funny how hornet says "Nose down bushers are always getting caught by snares which are not set right"....well if its caught it then its set right!

i was not moaning about snare or the use of them. i was just interested to see if this was regular occurance. the snare was set properly hence it catching the dog. it was set on a bridle path and not by the land owner the only method he allows on there is rifle or flush to gun :whistling: