Will Gryecrow bird work for a larsen trap ??

Hi All

just built a larsen trap and have fialed to get any interest from magpes in catching first bird,just wondering,I caught a grey cro/hooded crow in it, would that work to attract magpies in to it if placed near enough toa mapie nesting tree. ?

rgds

Ib

Not a notion. Maggies might be dumb enough to go into a trap with a magpie in it, but they ain't that dumb!

On the flip side. You can and will trap a lot of greycrows with a greycrow. We got hundreds last year in a handful of enlarged DIY larsen traps.

Thanks Lads.

just an update on this post,John G, you are spot on, I moved the trap earl this morn and by lunchtime i had 2 more Grey crows in it.Really need to find a decoy magpie as the place is walking with them.

thanks all

IB

Well, there are a few different ways to go about catching your magpie. I've never caught one from scratch myself so anything I say is unproven basically. If you do a search on this forum I'm sure you'll find plenty of suggestions, I know the topic comes up each year so there'll be lots of threads on it. There was a lad lately who had a way, which was new to me, sounded good though. Can I hell remember his name!

• 2 weeks later...

areet mate ive just listend to ur situation if you no the tree where ya magpies are set ur larsen with sum grass in a nest shape and put sum white eggs inside to lure the magpie in ..... or if you do use your hooded grow ....place it below the tree magpies are nesting in magpies might not be stupid but they are highly defensive of their nests and they will try to fend off the intruder cheers

atch !

I have always caught my callbird from scratch and have done so by making a nest shape from straw placing some hens eggs in and slightly covering the eggs with the straw as if trying to hide them, i caught several magpies in my back garden 2 years ago using this method instead of a callbird, reason being was a nosey neighbour giving me grief so i jusrt set the trap at night and dispatched the magpies in the morning before i went to work, just remembered it seemed to work well with a broken egg ontop of the trap and whole eggs inside...dont ask mwe why, but certainly seemed to give them more confidence entering the trap

hi all anyone have any luck catching maggies in a side opening larsen, i dont personally like them but the boss just bought some saying they are better than top openers!!!!!!! ill deffo try the grass/straw into a nest method for bait though

:notworthy:

cheers oli

The side opening Larsens are supposedly better for catching crows than magpies. How practical that assessment is I don't know as I haven't used side entry traps as yet.

side opening larsens are good for magpies and crows :thumbs:

hunting589.jpg

hunting599.jpg

The side opening Larsens are supposedly better for catching crows than magpies. How practical that assessment is I don't know as I haven't used side entry traps as yet.

hunting589.jpg

hunting599.jpg

thats an interesting 4 bird catcher you have, i see theres a maggie in one of the catchers , i have trapped many hundreds of crows and maggies and have caught crows using a maggie decoy bird , but never had a maggie come into a crow decoy, do you get this often ?

hunting589.jpg

hunting599.jpg

thats an interesting 4 bird catcher you have, i see theres a maggie in one of the catchers , i have trapped many hundreds of crows and maggies and have caught crows using a maggie decoy bird , but never had a maggie come into a crow decoy, do you get this often ?

no moley thats the first time.
  • 4 weeks later...

I've actually been trying to figure this out on a recent job John. I have had both side and top entry traps on the go there. I used a top entry only for the first week or so and took a lot of jackdaws which were the main target. Only caught two rooks and no greycrows with it. After a few moves the catches started to trail off. Rather than use a different trap I switched the existing one to side entry. I caught the last few stragglers of the jackdaw population who were reluctant to use the top-entry. I started catching rooks on a daily basis and had two greycrows at the same time with a jackdaw callbird. Swapped to a greycrow callbird and caught another five greys.

At the moment I also have a top-entry and a side-entry set up for magpies at a different location. I'll have the final tally in the next day or two but at the moment they are neck and neck. The location is a small garden and the traps are next to eachother to see which entry the magpies prefer.