I hope the saying isn't true it comes in three's !!!! In this case.

What a weekend, not good I might add though it did start off quite well. I went out Friday night having checked the met office homepage (weather) and deciding that Fri/Sat looked much the same for the place I planned to lamp. I've been there a few times over the years and it has a fair bit of everthing that a lurcher may be interested in!!! I took my brindle bitch (greyhound x Captain breeding) which is my regular dog as my male dog (Brocks Rogue x Smokey) is still recovering from a broken paw (8 weeks ago approx) and has a limp which is going to take a few more weeks to go, by the looks.

Anyway, the night started off pretty well with us putting the lamp on in the first field to see four large Bunnies with little bunnies scattering for cover. My bitch got onto the first one and started turning it, the run wasnt too long as the cover was up and it was impeding the Bunnie more so than the dog. Second to go was the my mates 3/4 greyhound collie. His Bunnie managed to break cover into the half of field that had been harvested and therefore took to turning the dog with abandon only to be lost over the brow. The third run was my other mates very useful bitch (coursing whippet x hancocks 1/2 cross). She was on the Bunnie in seconds and nailed it straight away, such is her speed (dont get me wrong large open field is not for her). We then moved on to the fields over the road and the same bitch was in her oils. Mine caught one but missed a few, a combination of runs down hill and barb wire fences segregating the fields/ very thin hedges. My bitch though very useful will not crash hedges (a good thing some might say) and slows down if shes head on, to one and if you have a kamikaze little bunnie, then it makes its escape, unless it decides to change course at the last minute and run parallel, then my bitch is back on it. The 3/4 cross missed a couple and picked up one like my bitch. However, the little lady was going well, as she did in similar conditions the previous week. She doesnt let the bunnies get to the hedge, such is the electrifying speed that takes her into her pace (much quicker than a dog like mine 26" mine and shes 22") and she picked up 5 rabbits, in fields that had nothing to hold the rabbits, should they get to the boundaries. Another very impressive display. We then moved down onto the larger flat fields with us lamping the first to illuminate about 20 or so big Bunnies. This is where a larger dog like my bitch comes into their own and she had four very good runs resulting in catching 2. The last one she ran took her down the field to be turned before it reached the hedge. It pinned its ears bach to make headway initially only for that gap to be clawed back by the bitch and she turned it back down, struck and missed before it headed up, then down the field once again. It then started to make its last ditch run, the full length up the field and you could see it was tiring. But so did my bitch appear to be???? Strange I thought. Anyway, the result was, it made it to the top of the field where there was a brow and it was lost. My bitch made her way back slowly and seemed no worse for wear.

I said to the boys, thats it for tonight for her and they said we had already had some good sport, lets make our way back. In the last field then, my bitch was hanging back and didnt seem right on the slip. I put it down to her being tired even though she didnt have as much work as she has had in the pass and the other dogs were fine?

I told my mates to stay where they were whilst I went to fetch the car. On returning my mate said you'll have to come and pick her up as she won't get up? I went over and they said she had stood for a while but when the two other dogs laid down, she did as well and now refused to get up. Well I picked her up and she was limp. Head lolling, but eyes wide open and blinking. We put her and the other two dogs in the boot and tried her with some water. Her head was put in the bowl and she blew a few bubbles before lapping 2-3 times, but she wasnt right. She had stayed where I had dropped her into the boot and her one leg was awkward which she hadnt tried to right. I pulled her skin to check for dehydration, but it snapped back quick enough, she looked fine from that point, but to look at her you would think she had had 20 pints and was on her last legs. We stopped half way home and tried her again with water, but this time she would have drowned if I hadnt taken her head out of the bowl. I was very concerned, she was not reacting at all, though her eyes were wide open staring and blinking occasionally.

I dropped my mates off and got her straight into the house. In the light I could see she was 'f%"£!&' and I thought she was on her way out. I called the emergency vet and arranged to meet them at the practice. As I carried her down the steps of the house she let her bladder go and I thought shes just died! She was still limp in my arms with head lolling. I checked her heart and much to my relief it was still beating.

The vet was perplexed when he saw her and very concerned too. I gave her 10-20% chance and he didnt disagree. He said it had nothing to do with the work that night as far as he could see as her heart beat was strong, circulation and breathing good. He asked whether she had hit anyting and I said not to my knowledge. He checked her kneck and couldnt find anything. I said could it be a stroke. He replied possibly but it could be many other things, botchellism, nerve damage, brain damage, toxic shock, viral poisoning though he had never seen a dog like it. He put a forceps up her nose and there was no reaction. This was the same when he pinched her over her body, nothing???? He aked me had she been at my stash? Being a good little welshman I said my what? He said your stash, I looked at him vacantly until the penny dropped, no theres no drugs in my house!! Daizapan he questioned? No I said, I told you theres no drugs in my house!!! He said, I ask because shes acting like shes sedated heavily. I dont understand it? I think the shotgun approach is the best here. We'll give her IVF Saline solution, Steroids and Antibiotics. That way we cover every eventuality and hopefully we will see her come round. Leave her here and call me at 11am (it was 6am by then).

Well my wife couldnt wait until then and as I was whacked and in bed she phoned at 10:30. The male vet nurse replied and said oh you're phoning up about *****, she said yes. Oh shes looking fine shes up and about and we'll be putting another Saline bag on her soon. My wife in shock said have you go the right dog? The nurse said yes, thinking we were heurotic dog owners as he hadnt seen her when I first took her there. The vet then told him how it was very much touch and go and he was delighted with her.

To draw this story to a conclusion and sorry to prattle on, but she ended up staying the night. She was sick and had diarrohea. The vet assumes she was poisoned by eating or drinking something or coming into contact with something that put her body into shock, they're not quite sure which. She ended up having 3 bags of saline, steroids and antibiotics. What with that and a call out plus overnight stay, we thought we're in for a big bill though it was worth it (well to be cprrect shes ensured 7 pounds a month first 50 we pay). I was pleasantly surprised to find that it only cost 200 pounds, brilliant value for money and great service from the vets.

I hate to think what the premiums are going to be next year!! We've just renewed the policies and will be claiming 550 pounds for the broken paw of my dog and 200 pound for this!! Cost me 100 pounds plus monthly fees. Anyway thats it, shes home and well, though she'll be having a couple of weeks off.

I would bring my old bitch out of retirement this weekend except for the fireworks though I'm sure shell be put into action next week, whilst I wait for my young bitch and dog to mend. Hope I havent bored you to much!

YIS

Straightline

Pleased your bitch is okay...and you've got a good vet and insurance.Tempted to print your story off(don't worry amn't going to!!!) so that next time any friends/colleagues declare that people who work dogs don't treat them as well as a pet dog I can let them read it then give them a thousand paper cuts.

Fingers crossed that you've had your share of shit luck. :thumbs-up:

Lengthy post there mate, made good reading on a boring nightshift in the north sea. Hope the dogs on the mend. I had a pup 3 days before it went to the vets with symptoms of Parvo, that little bitch was in monday to saturday before it was PTS and i was dreading the bill, it stood me at £370 i think but the vet gave me a discount as the pup never made it and i was refusing a cremation as i honestly didnt think i would be able to afford anymore! The vet said they would cremate the bitch for nothing and give me a discount as they were sorry i didnt have a pup at the end of the treatment.

Sorry to hear that. We all know with dogs that these things can happen, but it doesn't make it any easier does it.

that is a strange 1 mate but the main thing is that she is allright.take a walk over the fields and see if you can see anything about there in the day

I would if it was up my way King but its 1hr 30 mins away and I darent go there in day light lol. If it happened around where I am which is same place as Turk from here is, then I would have thought it was the magic mushrooms as they're due out and we are in one of the most productive areas for them. I'd have to say though the bitch is not the type of dog that scavenges and forages, shes quite 'picky' you know? Not to say we she wouldnt I suppose though.