Which rimfire caliber?

Heey i'm filling im my FAC and don't know which rimfire caliber i should go for!!

It's between the .17 hmr and the .22 wmr, which is best for long range rabbit, magpies and close range fox head shot. I know many of you dissagree with using rimfire on fox but i believe North Wales police do allow it.

Also which gun should i buy, I've narrowed it down to the Sako quad, CZ 452 and the Browning T-bolt, has anybody got any experience with these and if you have i'd appreciate all good and bad points about them.

Edited by Benellisupernova

Dont choose get both, they both have their niches and to choose one you would miss out. I have both, I use the .17 for long range pest control(rabbit), 100/200yds a good range for hit/kill anywhere,(messy). But the .22 using subs 70/90yds clean head shots minimal damage good for eating. Foxes will drop everytime with clean shots with the .17hmr or the .22wmr, accuracy a must though. Some dissagree with using rimfire on foxes but a well shot rimfire beats a badly shot centrefire anyday.

The CZ are very good rifles and reasonably priced, clean them regular, keep the ammo out of dirty pockets and above all get a decent scope and zero as often as you can.

Hope this helps mate.

if you want a centrefire why not get a 223 in stead of the hornet. if they wont let you have it on 1st grant say you go shooting with the guy you said culls the deer.

if you do go shooting with him i cant see why there be a problem getting it 1st time round. my old man got centrefire 1st time round.

yes he has mentoring on it which im his mentor. but it only last a couple of months and a letter from mentor will go along way.

your have your foot in the door with centrefires in the future then. it wont cost you any more to add one.

if you want 223 the i would get them all.

if you wanted hornet i would get that and a 22lr

Cheers Jamie but i'm only 15 so i dont know if they'll give me a .223 to start off with :icon_redface:

I also want to know as my uncle has a FAC he's going to buy the gun for me but will i be able to keep it in my cabinet or will it have to be in his ?

This seems to be getting a bit involved.

I have the .22lr, .17HMR and .22WMR and a load of air rifles and centrefires and shotguns as well, so I can cover most problems.

IF you feel you have issues with a .223, and or money is tight, get the .17HMR and a Hornet, forget the WMR. Lets get it straight here, I love the WMR and have a use for it but from the situation you outline the HMR and Hornet seem to be your best option.

You need to talk to your FEO reference buying and storing the Firearms, if they are to be stored elseware then they will have to appear on your Uncles FAC as well as yours!