Stag hounds

Who would use a proven american staghound for stud if available?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who would use a proven american staghound for stud if available?

• Yes
    • No

Hey Macker,..

Thanks for the comments about my bitch Tor,...she 'aint no world beater, but has been through hell and high water with me, and done well at what i use her for...lets hope that the Stitch x Tor breeding is good, and that she is even pregnant!...should be handy for all game i would think?

Kye..

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think its important to keep a line of good dogs between close friends and people you trust. after all who gives a F**k what other people are running once your own dogs are top notch. Hense the reaso

Never understood needing big fields, just coz the dogs are big!? All my dogs have lamped rabbits, even in junk yards! I like a bigger dog, and mine have caught rabbits everywhere, and my two best dogs

Posted Images

Thanks mate,..yeah, Stitch is a wonderful dog, and Tor has done me prou

d, despite her horrendous injurys,...I have my fingers crossed for the breeding!..it may be wishful thinking, but she looks to be carrying pups to me!

Kye

Never understood needing big fields, just coz the dogs are big!? All my dogs have lamped rabbits, even in junk yards! I like a bigger dog, and mine have caught rabbits everywhere, and my two best dogs are 29" and 31" and 75-80lbs...a good dog, even a big one, is good everywhere.

• Like 1

kye big dogs are not always good for lamping rabbits saw afew have bad twists and well its a waste having big dogs for a rabbit were a meduim sized well balanced dog can do it better ,i have saw a dog beechnut a good jack rabbit hound and coyote hound but he was wellbalanced and not to strong ,youll get some good big ones but most crosses ive saw rabbit or jack rabbit dogs have been 26 27 inches and built for the game in hand ,

The fact of the matter is that the UK has weaker dogs than the rest of the world because we continue to keep breeding 1st crosses from Greyhounds that break toes hocks etc from running on manicured sand tracks! Then we add more greyhound to to be sure the feet are utterly crap, resulting in dogs that break after 3/4 seasons and even being kept from running in woods, on dry baked, frozen or stoney ground. Then when the dogs break and are no use for work they used as brood bitches or stud dogs to earn there keep producing more weak dogs.

I've seen dogs of 25" do coyotes, but they struggle,...my dogs have hunted big and small quarry, the Blister dog I have is 29" and around 75-80lbs,...his first season, he killed 73 hares single handed, hunted up,...also a good dog on toothed game,...best night was 2 gray fox, 14 hares and 8 rabbits, still sound as a pound at 5 1/2 year old.

a lot of our dogs don't have the blistering fast run up they do over there because they don't need it. when you're running in the middle of hundreds of square miles of BLM, national grasslands or national forest, it's not that important if a dog takes an extra 200-400 yds to catch up to a yote or even a jack as long as it catches up & finishes it.

ye on some land they dont need pace but down in the desert areas ive hunted for ten seasons only fastish dogs can pressure good jack rabbits , saw lots of meduim paces dogs get tailed and they are gone , and some they catch , speed to me is a must with good feet ,to presure the rabit into a mistake unles you have miles of land and no hurry to get it

Speed kills...sometimes it kills the game, sometimes it kills the dog... :doh:

Speed without control or durability is worthless to ME. Most my dogs are on the smaller side, for stags, but I have seen some dogs that were bigger than mine that could do anything mine could, and seen some that couldnt... :hmm: Most times its more important whats inside the dog, than what the outside looks like, IMO.

If any of you fellas from the other side of the pond ever make it over to hunt, I would bet most fellas with stags would give you pup to take home if ya wanted it, I know I would.

Take care.

Honestly guys, the good stags would be just at home lamping ranbbits in 5 5 acre fields, as running game over here, in my exsperiance. All this "taking a couple hundred yards to get into top gear" is bull shit! That's just a shity dog imo!...

Honestly guys, the good stags would be just at home lamping ranbbits in 5 5 acre fields, as running game over here, in my exsperiance. All this "taking a couple hundred yards to get into top gear" is bull shit! That's just a shity dog imo!...

Yep....dog oughta be able to make a catch right out of the box.

Kye

plenty of dogs out there like that though because of WHERE they run. i mean if you got a couple of dogs that can pull up a coyote inside of 800yds but won't kill them and you got a couple that can catch & kill one out but have to run the yote a mile or so. you run entirely on a half dozen patches of BLM, NF & NG land the smallest parcel of which is an 8X12 mile "rectangle." your opportunity to travel is limited due to finances, NOW, which dogs are you gonna breed from?

i don't know about you but i'd breed the two singlehanded coyote killers. sure, i'd try a test cross between the faster dogs & the killing dogs, but if the pups don't turn out to be killers (even as a group) they aren't being bred from & i won't repeat the cross. so i might well wind up w/ a line that takes a mile or more to catch but kills well & there are folks out there w/ dogs just like this.