Vasectomized Hob?

Bit of a long shot i know but i just wondered if anyone in the South Yorkshire area had a vasectomized Hob i could borrow for a few days to bring my jills out of season, If not i'm gunna have to breed them and i cant be bothered with the hassle. Thanks

Why not just get them the Jill jab? The PDSA will do the jabs for as little as £3 or a donation.

The problem with using a vasectomized Hob is that the Jills still have a sore neck and still get thrown around the hutch for a week or so. Just seems easier to get the jill jab to my mind.

John

If not i'm gunna have to breed them and i cant be bothered with the hassle

Seems like the perfect reason to spend a few quid getting them sorted then? :hmm:

Begs the question of how you're going to deal with the kits if you 'can't be bothered'?

Why not just get them the Jill jab? The PDSA will do the jabs for as little as £3 or a donation.

The problem with using a vasectomized Hob is that the Jills still have a sore neck and still get thrown around the hutch for a week or so. Just seems easier to get the jill jab to my mind.

John

thanks John i have heard mixed reviews about the Jill jab, i have heard it can be risky to have them done whilst the Jill is in season?.. which is why i was thinking about a vasectomized Hob.. Hannah

If not i'm gunna have to breed them and i cant be bothered with the hassle

Seems like the perfect reason to spend a few quid getting them sorted then? :hmm:

Begs the question of how you're going to deal with the kits if you 'can't be bothered'?

As i put to the person in the above post the jills are in season and I've heard mixed stuff about the jill jab at this time.

And as for 'Begs the question of how you're going to deal with the kits if you 'can't be bothered'?', I wouldn't have any kits if i used a vasectomized hob would i? :feck:

thanks John i have heard mixed reviews about the Jill jab, i have heard it can be risky to have them done whilst the Jill is in season?.. which is why i was thinking about a vasectomized Hob.. Hannah

Hi Hannah, I've used the Jill jab all my jills for years and have never had any problems at all, obviously you wouldn't take them for the jill jab until they come in to season. The jab will last the whole season, in some rare occasions the jill may come in to season again late September but on the whole the jill jab is the most effective way if you don't wish to breed. You can also get an implant now, much like the Human contraceptive implant. This has a few additional benefits and helps with adrenal disease, and will also prevent adrenal disease in ferrets.

We used to have a vasectomized hob, so I can comment on both methods, going down the vasectomized rout is okay but the jills will still go through mating, and will still have a sore neck at the end of it.

In my opinion, if you never plan to breed your jills then get them sterilised (age dependant), in the long run you will save money (£25 - £35 per jill). If you plan to keep more than two jills then get a hob and have him vasectomized (£5 - £20 for the hob / £38 - £48 to have him vasectomized), if your unsure either way then go for the jill jab (£3 - £20 per jill). All methods work but it all depends up on how much you can invest. Obviously you can try using another persons hob but as with us humans, things do not run smoothly all of the time!

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

fron experience i found that providing the jill is fully swollen / in season then using a vasectomised hob imo is the easiest way to deal with the jills other than a spey

You only get the scabby necks if the jills not ready to me brought out of season & that only occurs when a jills having to be chased round & held down by the hob ... when she is ready she will allow him to mount her with minimal fuss & all she should get is a slightly wet neck

The mating process isnt brutal as some seem to claim its a matter of getting the timing right to reduce the risk of a sore neck

good luck finding a hob :thumbs:

Vasectomised Hob, every time.

Not keen on the jab. But it must be said, If you "cant be bothered breeding them" then why did you get jills??

If you had given it some thought, then you wouldn`t be on here asking questions you should have thought about way before getting them, and certainly way BEFORE they come into season.

I am amazed at the negative reaction to the Jill jab. I have to be honest and say that I don't have a mass of experience having only owned ferrets since 1999 but have never ever had any problems with the Jill jab but on the other hand I don't mind paying for the jill jab. A two second injection and bob's your uncle. I have to be honest and say that in the days of our vasectomized hob I didn't have to worry or mess around in the vets, but back then I owned seven jills and it would have bankrupted me.

I would be interested to hear what has made people so negative towards the jill jab, have they ever had any problems or is it just personal preference ?

John

""I would be interested to hear what has made people so negative towards the jill jab, have they ever had any problems or is it just personal preference ?""

its haveing to pay for it, cos theres nowt wrong with th jill jab at all, and no one can say there is!!!

I am amazed at the negative reaction to the Jill jab. I have to be honest and say that I don't have a mass of experience having only owned ferrets since 1999 but have never ever had any problems with the Jill jab but on the other hand I don't mind paying for the jill jab. A two second injection and bob's your uncle. I have to be honest and say that in the days of our vasectomized hob I didn't have to worry or mess around in the vets, but back then I owned seven jills and it would have bankrupted me.

I would be interested to hear what has made people so negative towards the jill jab, have they ever had any problems or is it just personal preference ?

John

Just personal preference on my part ... when i had around 8 jills the hob was worth his weight in gold .. he would service each one in turn & lived happily with the jills & several castrates all year round .

I also found having him in with the jills it stopped the mothering of others & the jill squabbles ... when i lost him at around 8 yrs old the following year was a nightmare regarding the jills .... i had to separate most of them once they had been jabbed as they faught constantly

i had a good 7 yrs out of the hob & if i had lots of jills i would get another hob

tottaly agree with u kay, if u have loads of jills then a v hob is the way to go for sure!!!

I never had a minute's bother with that hob in all the years i had him... very gentle ferret & happily plodded about the place even when he was in season ... i wont ever get another one like him :laugh:

100% agree with you Kay. When I had my load then the vasectomized hob was worth it's weight in gold. As you say, he kept the jills in check and saved plenty of vets bills. One problem I did have was with a castrated hob, the vasectomized hob would constantly try to have his way with the poor boy.

However, I honestly believe all things taken in to account the OP really needs to get her Jills to vet and get a jill jab sorted, pronto.

John

100% agree with you Kay. When I had my load then the vasectomized hob was worth it's weight in gold. As you say, he kept the jills in check and saved plenty of vets bills. One problem I did have was with a castrated hob, the vasectomized hob would constantly try to have his way with the poor boy.

However, I honestly believe all things taken in to account the OP really needs to get her Jills to vet and get a jill jab sorted, pronto.

John

I was just lucky with him really , i have had other hobs i was glad to get castrated :laugh: