hi folks i have a whippetx lurcher 10month old,im having problems trimming her nails, she wont let me touch them ive had her from a pup and from day 1 has never liked me touching her feet,has anybody got any ideas/advise atb jamiew,

hi folks i have a whippetx lurcher 10month old,im having problems trimming her nails, she wont let me touch them ive had her from a pup and from day 1 has never liked me touching her feet,has anybody got any ideas/advise atb jamiew,

loads of road walking keeps them short then mate.

YOUR EITHER GOING 2 BE FIRM & GET SOMEONE TO HOLD HER TILL U CLIP THEM/OR PUT SOMETHING IN 2 HER EXERCISE, FAST WWLKING ROADWORK, RUN HER ON SOLID ROAD WITH U ON A BIKE. MINES COME RUNNING WITH ME 3MILES 3 TIMES A WEEK.

Road walking will help but with a hare footed breed its often not the total solution. I use a dremel. I have a dog that hated clippers but with the dremel he is fine.

thanks dawn thats what i was after,

My plummer was more than happy having his nails clipped................untill i got a bit to close and caught the quick. Now i cant get near him if i have the clippers in my hand! Even if hese asleep, as soon as i touch his feet he wakes up and investigates if iv got the clippers out or not and if i have he wriggles, growls and snarls and wriggles some more and i cant hold onto him, certainly not well enough that im not risking cutting his quick again. So far the road walking seems to be doing its job but if they do get to long il have to find a way of sedating him! Lol!!

Put some really tasty food on the floor around her, and start by just picking up and touching her paws. After a few times of this and with her confidently letting you do it, keep up with the food scattered around her and just clip a tiny amount of one nail, lots of praise and more treats. Do one nail a day if thats what it takes, with gentle actions, patience and a large supply of chicken she should become immune to nail clipping. :thumbs:

There are people who physically restrain the dog, IMO if you can get her to an acceptable tolerance level without undue force, then thats by far the better option. :thumbs:

Road walking will help but with a hare footed breed its often not the total solution. I use a dremel. I have a dog that hated clippers but with the dremel he is fine.

thanks dawn thats what i was after,

No probs, here is the one I have:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=152683&Referrer=froogle

You will need to buy the sanding rings like these:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=121676

Cheap they are and the dremel will probably come with a few to start you off.

Im doing a couple of my dogs tonight, I can try and do a video if you like if it would help you?

I would also suggest you old your dogs feet, just massage them not play or annoy, but get the dog used to you touching his feet without any harm coming to him.

DREMELS ARE IDEAL FOR KEEPING NAILS SHORT. GARY DICKENSON ADVISED ME 2 GET 1 YRS AGO, HE WAS USING 1 ON DRAX. OFTEN A CLIPPED NAIL AINT EVEN & IVE KNOWN DOGS RUN BADLY WHEN THEIR NAILS ARE CLIPPED. BUT IF YOUR DOG AINT HAPPY WITH YOU HANDLING ITS FEET2 BE CLIPPED I DONT THINK IT WILL BE HAPPY HOLDING STILL 2 GET ITS NAILS BUFFED DOWN?? HOPE IT WORKS OUT [bANNED TEXT] :thumbs:

Its a horrid problem i have the same here with some of my shepards and spaniel/collie , i removed a large thorn from his foot as a pup and that was the end of that,I have on one occasion let them jump in the truck and that worked. i managed to nip of the due claws, With the deerhound i lie her on the settee the hubbie smooths her and i do the feet, she panicks a little but not to bad. :thumbs: Denise

lol

Guest bullterrier

if it comes to it mate just muzzle the dog and pick up clip away when you have finished praise your dog the dog will come to tolerate you doing its nails .thumbs.gif ...john