Grouping

Every so often we get people on here showing off their 3 round groups. :boredom: I'm going to stick my neck out and say "Yeah? So?" The statistical significance of a 3 round group is non existent. Point your gun in the right general direction and three rounds have to land somewhere near the target. Target shooters know this. UKBR22 will give you their lowest qualification if you can put 5 successive groups of 10 in a 3/4" cut ring at 50 yards. That is with 50 rounds; a single "flyer" will disqualify the entire session. One of the most accurate sniper rifles is the H&K PSG1 semi-auto. Before a gun leaves the factory it must be fired by a marksman and put 50 successive rounds in an 80 mm circle at 300 metres. One flyer and it is back to the production line. That's near enough 3" group at 300 yds, 1MOA.

When I see people claiming 1/4 MOA at 300 yards on the basis of a 3 round group I tend to either giggle, vomit , or fall asleep.

This is where I get back in me dugout and wait for the artillery barrage.

Ric

a five round group is the military norm,all measurments are taken from these.(zero/capability of the shooter/sniper)

i have had the pleasure of being trained by the "infantry" of our world beating army as a rifleman and representing them at bisley.

a five round group is the first indication of ability and capability(rifle and marksman) and anything less is a compromise. anything more a waste of ammunition.

I'm open to correction on this but I've always believed that the British Army marksman standard was 10 in a 3" group at 300 yards. Of course, that was over iron sights with a boring old Lee-Enfield like what I used to shoot. Standard for all infantrymen was 10 in a 12" group at 300 yards, which I could just about make on a good day. Youse guys who've grown up with glass sights don't know how lucky you are!

My main point stands. 3 round groups prove nowt.

Ric

for load development i only shoot 3 shot groups, i can tell with all my rifles if a load is going to work-when i find a good -un then i step up to 5 shots.thing is you only need one shot to kill a fox!why waste powder -primers etc chasing something that is in front of you.

Gary, that is a perfectly valid point. A real life field shooter doesn't need these tight tolerances. If you are shooting rabbits with a 22lr, 1MOA at 100yds is more than good enough; deer at 300 yards likewise. I just get a bit rajjy when people claim target rifle accuracy with field weapons that don't need that level of accuracy to start with, and then adduce silly "evidence" in support.

Me? A stroppy sod? Nevair!

Ric