high seats

Colin Scott (Grampian Deer Management) does them. Mine is fully galvanised will fit in and on my Jimny and I can put it up on my own. It is a double.

The best I have seen are by PD high seats, also fully galvanised and portable in a Jimny. Paul, of PD, is hard to beat on quality or price.

Both the above take down into 3'6"/4' sections so are easy to manage.

Bushwear ones look ok but i wonder how long they will last, but they are the only really lightweight folders for reasonable money.

ft

"Bushwear ones look ok but i wonder how long they will last, but they are the only really lightweight folders for reasonable money."

Seem fairly well put together. I have the extension bit as well - brings the weight up to 16k ....... not THAT portable. Very quick to put up, but more importantly, very comfy!

try these - reeves high seats and a high quality lightweight aluminium portable ones...

reeves high seats

£350 is a bit steep don't you think? Looking at it, all it is is a £60 folding ladder with a seat and a rest bolted to it :hmm: . Just like the one I am currently building 8)

COSTCO are doing a TRIPLE aluminium ladders at the moment for about £90.

All you would have to make are three seats and rails ???? £30 a ladder ! Not bad .

Worth thinking about ??

i guess if you can home make, no problem, and i have seen some great ones locally and in Northumberland, but when you start buying commercial ones, you get what you pay for.

just thinking whether i would like to be at the top of bendy chinese aluminium with a loaded rifle - don't think so! I have also seen a couple of home made seats where I was a guest in Scotland that had seen a bit of weather - let's just say that i would rather sit on the top strand of a barbed wire fence - at least i wouldn't have as far to fall.

The real question comes if you invite someone else to sit in one - like it or not, you inherit a big legal liability - we all know that we make our own luck and wouldn't sue a friend, but sometimes it isn't up to us. I don't want to go all 'elf'n'safety' but it's worth thinking about if you are going to put yours or a friend's life up in that seat.

i have always made my own to suit the land and cover(height,roofed,netted, single seat/double,with doggy board).

the saving is immense and you get what you NEED without compromise.

the aluminium seats i hve used have been wobbly and the shooting rest not stable. they have had a place when placing new seats(trial in a spot before making the permanent one) and for placing on maize(pigs moving in/out).

the saftey aspect should no be overlooked and they must be checked at least at the start of the season every year. a good alterative is to weld them from steel(ladder and seat bracket).this makes them heavy(a two man move) but certainly cheaper and alot easier with the maintainance(shooting rail can be made of wood fixed to a tree and left in situe. then you just have to place the ladder and seat back under it when needed).

when making high seats i always try to over dimensionalise the legs/feet( telegraph poles are good.very long lived but a bugger to cut with the chainsaw,i have split them into four with wedges in the past for the shorter seats). if building then run the legs up to the roof in one(even if the roof is not YET needed)this makes them very stable.

atb