Do dogs need bull in them to make the grade on fox these days?

I think it comes down to [how] much fox work pre ban the dog would do.? Most lurchers will do a [few] foxes.But to kill say 3-4 foxes a night [3-4 nights aweek.The is only bullxs of the [right stuff] that will handle that. :yes: Ihad a colliexgrey 26in 70lb back in late 80s, that could kill foxes easy. But as good as he was,not many can handle [serious] work of the above :yes:

blaze-1.jpg

so just because your dog didnt that means none never??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it comes down to [how] much fox work pre ban the dog would do.? Most lurchers will do a [few] foxes.But to kill say 3-4 foxes a night [3-4 nights aweek.The is only bullxs of the [right stuff]

Posted Images

a 25lb fox would be killed just as quick by any cross that weighs twice as much imo

granted they are not the hardest to kill but the point i think is that the dog has to do a few a week every season for all his working life

and some dogs that CAN kill foxes might in time shy away or be reluctant to go ahead and strike if he knows what its like to be bitten from previous experiences or having been entered incorrectly

true but but the same can be said about a bull cross tho?? dont get me wrong i love bull crosses they are everything i like in a dog but ive seen dogs of all types take foxes week in week out it depends on every individual dog and owner :thumbs:

ur right other crosses will do it with ease but the lads are saying 3 or 4 a night 3 or 4 nights a week so it could be around 15 a week so a dogs heart may be tested at that level of endurance needed even when the owner does everything spot on

a 25lb fox would be killed just as quick by any cross that weighs twice as much imo

granted they are not the hardest to kill but the point i think is that the dog has to do a few a week every season for all his working life

and some dogs that CAN kill foxes might in time shy away or be reluctant to go ahead and strike if he knows what its like to be bitten from previous experiences or having been entered incorrectly

true but but the same can be said about a bull cross tho?? dont get me wrong i love bull crosses they are everything i like in a dog but ive seen dogs of all types take foxes week in week out it depends on every individual dog and owner :thumbs:

ur right other crosses will do it with ease but the lads are saying 3 or 4 a night 3 or 4 nights a week so it could be around 15 a week so a dogs heart may be tested at that level of endurance needed even when the owner does everything spot on

dont believe everything you hear!

i know not many are worked as much as that but its a fair point that bull blood increases the chances of having a dog thats in it for the long haul year after year

i know not many are worked as much as that but its a fair point that bull blood increases the chances of having a dog thats in it for the long haul year after year

never said it dont mate

This question comes up about once a month.The collie can dispatch a fox just as quick as the bull.As for speed the collie is by far the better dog for the job.A lot of guys out there know the bull.But a few just talk it

Would your collie x stick its head in a hole 4 5 times a week for 1 though?

I think it comes down to [how] much fox work pre ban the dog would do.? Most lurchers will do a [few] foxes.But to kill say 3-4 foxes a night [3-4 nights aweek.The is only bullxs of the [right stuff] that will handle that. :yes: Ihad a colliexgrey 26in 70lb back in late 80s, that could kill foxes easy. But as good as he was,not many can handle [serious] work of the above :yes:

blaze-1.jpg

so just because your dog didnt that means none never??

Not 1 mark on the dog mate

I hav'nt seen a dog without bull in make the single handed grade in years have you?

Seen most crossbreeds tackle foxes over the years,...but few had the intensity or capability of the Bull bloods .... :no:

I used to kill them,.. if the landowner or keeper was nearby,..and demanded them gone,..but nowadays,..my business is purely rabbiting,..things are different,..and there is no profit in messing around with a stinky vulpine.... :yes:

All the best,.CHALKWARREN.... :drink:

SkyferretingPerhap062.jpg

CW,is that a deerhound x in your photo,if it is, was it called LUCY?

Sorry posted this without reading further down ,it is Lucy she won Lambourn I beleive.

Yes,..that is Lambourn Lucy,...she was just an old show pony,...just like me.... :laugh:

All the best,...CHALKWARREN.... :drink:

mort-1.jpg

thats one fine looking dog cw a credit to you mate :thumbs: