1st Lurcher

Hello! just your opinions, I have works and kept terriers since i was 15 now 26 and i have decided its time for a lurcher. I have managed to train a few of my plummer crosses quite well, various commands, hand signals, working with ferret ect...

I am wondering that if i can get a fair bit of control on a terrier will a lurcher be generally easier to train? Also the cross that i am gearing towards would be deer/grey with a bit of whippet blood to get the size down a bit. How suitable would this cross be for a first lurcher and the work that i have planned for it? I intend to use the dog instead of a gun when out with the hounds hunting/ used as a terrier mans lurcher drawing/covering bolters and a bit of lamping/ odd day ratting with the ferrets? Some of the ground it will be run on is fairly hard going mid Wales mountains region. Winter time its fecking cold, how much more advantage/protection from the elements would a good deerhound coat give?

Sorry this is turning into an essay, all advice/ opinions good or bad will be appreciated

Thanks Rob

i dont think you'd go wrong with a good collie greyx deerhound grey. they vary in size. im pretty sure someone is selling somthing similar on preloved (bitch pup.

only to add the collie and the deerhound would bring good feet for the terrain that you are planning to work

Edited by sh 08
Guest bluemink

I think a lurcher should be easier to train than a plummer, but I have no experience of them so I could not say for sure. tbh I think you should be less concerned with the breeding of the dog you plan to get, as you may wait an age for a litter of deer grey whippets to come up, and you should just look for a dog where the parents are doing the job you intend to do with your. a deer whip grey could do the jobs you mention but if you are looking for a terrier mans lurcher you may want to considered getting a bit of terrier blood in there like bull or wheaten :thumbs:

• Like 1

I can see where your coming from with the bull x's, been out lamping with one its a 5/8 3/8 its brilliant on its own hard and nails anything. But if i owned it it would be pts its an absoloute liability digging wise and it would nail a terrier as good as look at it. seen another whippet 1/4 bull and that as well not so powerfull as the first dog but that also you got to be carefull digging wise. These are my only two experiences of the cross and probabily not good examples of the breed. Do these crosses lack the brains of the deerhound crosses?

As a first lurcher the deerhound hybred would do most jobs and make a quick all round type. Adding a little collie as mentioned above would perhaps improve trainability and I've owned a deer/grey x collie/grey that was a good allround type and I'd certainly consider one agian. I've a bull /grey x collie/grey at the mo and he'll never be quite as good as the deerhound hybred though he's a gunuine type.