A few years ago they were relatively easy to get hold of, and not that expensive, but when mine died and I wanted to get some more I was told that they were so inbred in this country that their fertility is very low so numbers are dwindling: a fancy pheasant breeder told me this. Nice birds though: and easy to keep, alway used to have a pair in my aviary with the canaries. Why not Google breeders for these birds?

Guest bluemink

they are easy pheasant to keep and very pretty. to start with you'll need an aviary (2 metres by 3 metres would be fine if its only temporary) to keep them in so they don't wander, but when they are settled and relatively tame there is no reason why you cannot let them roam free. pure golden pheasant are very hard to come by and expensive. this is because they can be bred with the other ruffed pheasant the lady Amherst. so many of the stock you can pick up at the local poultry auction for £20 will have some Amherst blood in them, not good for serious ornamental pheasant breeder but not such a problem if you just want a pair for the garden. they are easy to feed and will happily eat chicken pellets, corn and scraps.

they are easy pheasant to keep and very pretty. to start with you'll need an aviary (2 metres by 3 metres would be fine if its only temporary) to keep them in so they don't wander, but when they are settled and relatively tame there is no reason why you cannot let them roam free. pure golden pheasant are very hard to come by and expensive. this is because they can be bred with the other ruffed pheasant the lady Amherst. so many of the stock you can pick up at the local poultry auction for £20 will have some Amherst blood in them, not good for serious ornamental pheasant breeder but not such a problem if you just want a pair for the garden. they are easy to feed and will happily eat chicken pellets, corn and scraps.

cheers just fancy a pair or 2 round the garden are they noisey ??

A few years ago they were relatively easy to get hold of, and not that expensive, but when mine died and I wanted to get some more I was told that they were so inbred in this country that their fertility is very low so numbers are dwindling: a fancy pheasant breeder told me this. Nice birds though: and easy to keep, alway used to have a pair in my aviary with the canaries. Why not Google breeders for these birds?

cheers googles my next port of call always try here first cant beat getting first hand info thumbs.gif
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Stig, where abouts are you based? I've got some Golden Pheasants, plus some Lady Amhursts' (not pure, but pretty). A few other types.

sorry stig for interupting your thread but id be interested in buying a few eggs to hatch from capt Boo.please PM me a price.im not after 100's,just a dozen or so from each strain if possible?

i have 3 trio's of goldies in a large run at the back of my house. if you want to wait till they start laying i could sell you some eggs to hatch if not i will have a word with my boss cause he has loads of extra male birds. just drop me a pm to let me know