Another doe for the dsc2

Well went out this morning with Phil (a client) to try and preasent a doe for him to stalk and shoot his last deer for his DSC2.

On the way to one peice of ground I went the scenic route to look on a beat field where i have seen many mixed deer (sexes) grazing.

Never more then 7 at a time but a different load of deer.(think there is up to 10).

Anyway they were there 9 altogether, 4 bucks and 5 does.

The wind wasn't bad but the stalk wasn't going to be easy.

We had a good hedge to approach them out of sight but nowhere to get through it to take a shot.

We would get up there and worry about that later.

Well when 100m's from them they were making their way back accross our path and into a gamestrip.

Well if we could get them to stand at the headland and shoot at the strip we were ok for backstop as there is the crop and just into it is a row of large heston bales which are wet and the deer have been bedding up against.

Well luck was on our side two bucks were sparring which is unusual as they were both still in velvet.

Then a doe came into veiw and then I told Phil she was adjasent to the hidden bales and he took a perfect lung shot.

Although she ran(expected) she fell just through the hedge, she'd run about 24 m's.

Well done Phil get it of tothe dmq now and wait for the phone call.

th_philsinluck.jpg

Hi very good video some very good bucks in velvet there going through the motions. As for the stalker doing his DMQ2 should you be advizing/telling him to take it??. To me he should have been noted about the terrain before the stalk for back stop etc & then left to it in my eyes as anyone sitting the level 2 should be of experiance/knowledge to read the deer & do whats needed not guided/told when to take on shots as this would indicate to me there level of experiance & see what abilaty they have. Dont wish to sound off but just my MHO as i see the odd so called DMQ2 who have no basic knowledge or foundation knowledge on the deer species being stalked.

Clients are briefed about what and where, but you cannot take everything into account. Some one on my land cannot be expected to know where everything is or every boundry.

The film is edited and you can see taken from 2 places, the latter one nearer.

Phil had a shot available earlier at one of the 9 deer which were there.

But made his feelings known about lack of backstop, so a little encouragement as to when it was safe (due to unseen bales) which i couldn't have explained before the stalk as I had no idea the deer where going to preasent a shot in that area.

Cannot be called cheating.

It is written in the witness narative(notes) that the deer was shot on my ground and as a witness the assesors can pick this out and ask us both about the scenario.

This is not a class room affair and in the field things are fluid. It takes nothing away from the approach nominated shot actual shot and follow up.

It did mean a shot was taken safely and with confidence.

Hope this helps.

Edited by john robbo