trouble with the runt

the pup is 5 month old this coming tuesday.

well from what people say the runt can turn out as good as anyother in the litter so i guess more work is needed.

ill take him out 1 on 1 from now on see if i can get out of his scared state.

i dont want to get rid because he's the better of the two. just everytime he gets touched its terrible.

see what he's like in a month or so, thatks all, ill keep updating.

many thanks for your replies

Edited by smiffyuk2003

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pup is, deer/grey-saluki/grey x collie/grey bit of a mouth full.

can be hard training 2 pups, when im training them i do it 1 on 1 cos they just wanna play otherwise, do that once a day for hour or so. other 3 times they just get walked/run about

been laid off so there getting out 4 times a day, they dont know how lucky they are. lol

Edited by smiffyuk2003

My pup was the smallest & quietest of the bunch when I picked her, I was a bit put off by her shying away from me at first but she was the right colour ect for me, your always told to go for the pup thats the liveliest and who comes over to you first. The owner said dont let this put you off, all she'll need is a lot of one to one attention and she'll be fine, they even said give her a week and if your not happy with her and she's still as quiet, bring her back and I'll give you a full refund.........3 weeks on and you wouldn't recognise her as the same pup, spent loads of time with her and she's full of confidence, great with people and I've got her retrieving, sitting etc. I'd say give the pup loads of one to one and it may turn out to be one of the best you've had mate!

yeah i know what your saying but at what point do you say ok enough is enough its not working, as i say the pup is 5 month old tuesday.

id hate to get to 12 month and realise its not gonna be a working dog and have to find a home for it at that point.

i think the next couple of months will tell me everything i need to know.

thanks

yeah i know what your saying but at what point do you say ok enough is enough its not working, as i say the pup is 5 month old tuesday.

id hate to get to 12 month and realise its not gonna be a working dog and have to find a home for it at that point.

i think the next couple of months will tell me everything i need to know.

thanks

5 months fuk all mate it still a puppy. give it more time.

I would get yourself a big bag of something strong smelling and yummy, cooked chicken or sausages . . . . . sit on the floor and let the pup come up to you, feed it by hand and once its confidently doing this, start by gently stroking its legs, the back of the neck for a dog is a very dominant place to touch and cause intimidation easily. Touch it all over, only for a short period, whilst constantly feeding it the treats . . . . then get up and walk away from it . . . . sit down with your back to it and again wait for it to come up and do exactly the same. You will probably find that doing this a few times a day the pup will confidently be touched in no time. Playing with a soft toy or something he likes also whilst on the floor with him, will also help, and again touch him whilst he's distracted and your sitting down. Loads of praise, treats and keep it fun. Keep us posted, best of luck. :thumbs:

good advice from hannah,softly softly approach will work imo.

i had a terrier bitch who was the same(the mrs loved her and so kept her,she was tiny and very submissive/sensitive) i never worked or tried to train her,the girlfriend did everything. i was living on a farm at the time and noticed her ratting with the others,fast as hell and really good. next time i went checking the barns for polecats and martins i took her with me,she could fit every where and bolted 2 martins alone.next time out she killed a polecat( yes she stank to high heaven).she was around 12 months by now.

i took her on driven shoots and she took to pigs like a duck to water. always working with her mother.

after a couple of times she was to ground,very vocal but boxing clever. she turned out a great little bitch who could be "used" everywhere and anywhere ( if the missus had not wanted her she would have gone to a pet home).

she never stopped being submissive toward people( which i always saw as a character weakness and never bred from her) but was a little cracker who accounted for many pigs,foxes and other beasties.

p.s.i was in germany at the time,hence martins,polecats etc.

waidmann