Skin rips/tears

He is insured. I've just been looking up using glue and have read people use normal superglue.

Does anyone use it. I read on a working terrier site that someone in the states used 50cent work of super glue on a tear that the vet was wanting to charge $1000 to stitch up.

He is insured. I've just been looking up using glue and have read people use normal superglue.

Does anyone use it. I read on a working terrier site that someone in the states used 50cent work of super glue on a tear that the vet was wanting to charge $1000 to stitch up.

super glue was first used on skin during world war two i have been told!! apparently american soldiers used to have it for keeping there rifle scopes mounted firmly and when people used it it stuck there skin together so they had the bright idea of using it on wounded soldiers!! i have actually had this conversation with a nurse whilst she was gluing my head back together after a night on the tiles went a bit wobbly for me(say no more) :icon_redface: and she said if thats whats available too use then use it its very simaler to the stuff they use anyway!! so if its good for us its good for our four legged friends!! hope this helps fella!!

well for starters u really have to assess the severity of the cut!! if u feel it can be delt with yourself then check to make sure there are no foriegn bodies in the cut(i.e bits of grass,mud, even bits of the barbed wire if its a rusty old thing) then i suggest hydrogen peroxide this will clean out the wound!! and then hibi scrub to make extra sure its clean!! then its up to u stitch or staple!! if u havent done it before and ur squeimish dont put your dog through unnessasary pain and get him down the vets!! and insurance is a really good idea its saves me a bundle when i have had sum nasty cuts that i cant deal with!! all the best fella!!

Good stuff HP ,make sure you dilute it to 50%,and only use once as more than that inhibits healing.

depending on the severity of the tear, av known lads to either glue or stitch them up...but if its a bad one (which it usually always is with lurchers an barbed wire) then am afraid its off to the vet..all the best hope yer dog is ok ..chris..

the glue has worked 4 me with minor taers:thumbs:

What you think of this?

To glue a wound shut, it's not necessary that it be dry. In fact, SuperGlue works a bit better if the edges are wet, as the goal here is to weld living tissue together so that it will mend. For that, you want clean fresh (i.e. wet and bleeding) edges.

To begin with, flush all dirt and grime out of the wound with fresh water in a squeeze bottle. Once the wound is clean and moist, pull or push the wound closed while you "spot weld" the edges together with SuperGlue. You do not want to put the glue inside the wound -- you are closing up the top, not putting in deep sutures. Repeat your application of glue between the spot welds until the entire thing is closed up.

For deeper or longer gashes, you will will have to reapply the glue in about four days. After that, however, the wound should be sufficiently knitted together to stay closed on its own. Common "flap gashes" knit up very fast with SuperGlue, and I have repaired a dog with 50 cents of SuperGlue which a veterinarian otherwise wanted $1,000 to sew up. Obviously, very deep traumatic injuries to tendons, eyes, etc. cannot be fixed with glue, but if it's a simple flesh wound, and is not too deep, it probably can.

SuperGlue has some anti-microbial properties, and the scarring (if any) will be less than if it were sewn together. The bonding strength of SuperGlue glue is equal to a 5-0 monofilament suture.

I have always used diluted peroxide and so long as wound is cleaned quickly and thoroughly it has healed without problem.

That said i hav'nt has tears as serious as some of you have described ,if you are not confident to deal with it i guess it needs to be the vet,

A for insurance i insure dogs as cross breeds and would never mention working- this will give you the cheapest price

You can get a dog insured for about £8 a month; well worth it if you work your dog.

Cheers.

i bet you dont tell the insurance company you work it in places where you are going to get injuries , :) out of interest ,what do they ask on the forms mate ,i have never seen one ,

REGISTER THEM AS LURCHERS(CROSSBREEDS) & DONT MENTION HUNTING OR RACING THEM. JUST PETS THAT GET A LOT OF EXERCISE

Basically A few weeks ago my dog tore all the skin down the back on his leg during a ferreting accident.

His first walk offlead sinse the accident and he rips his stomach open on some barbed wire.

After £350 vet bill the first time round my mum isn't happy.

Soo just wondered what you guys did when your dogs skin tears?

Do you staple it, Stitch it or take the dog to the vets?

What do you think is the best way to heal it?

Cheers in advance, Will

hi pal i had a greyhound rip open his leg you could see reight through i gave him a jab of penecilin cleaned it 3 times a day with salt water and gave him amoxacilin caps for 10 days the dog is fine and you cant even see were the rip was if the rips are not life threatenin for the dog then these things work well plus all lurchers and terriers are fast healers when it comes to skin