earthwork

depending on what part of the country you hunt will pretty much determine the type of dog you'll keep,there is no hard and fast rules,it's horses for courses heaton27,when we worked terriers in scotland they needed to be leggy to jump in and out of rock cairns and caves with ledges and snow,you can't dig there.where I live in northwest england we have a lot of small scraped out rabbit holes that need a small easilly spannable terrier to get on terms quickly and force the bolt if possible,but you must approach the earth quietly,the most important attribute for a terrier though is nose,if your dog has no scenting ability it will not find quickly enough,there is nothing more annoying than a dog that goes through every earth you come to false marking and barking all the way round.a lot of terrier breeds were developed for work in certain parts of the country and named as such,patterdales,lakies and fell terriers to name but a few and they did what was required in that terrain,if your going to dig 8 foot of soil you want the dog to keep it boxed up and busy till you get there,if its moved on after all that effort it is very annoying.I only keep small yappy russell's now that suit my area I hunt,they must have nose and bottle,with a bit of brains thrown in for good measure,we work more cover than earth's these day's and all my terrier's can hold a charlie above ground on their own and they are only half their wieght.looking at the picture's of your dog he would be too big to get to ground round here,he looks a strong dog and plenty of bottle I'll bet, but unsuitable for my area and my type of work.I hope you find some pointer's in this post and wish you great sport with your dog's in the future and I'm sure you'll find the breed that suit's you,you can't rush experience it takes time and lots of mistakes,yis,wc

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

imo if you only have dogs that stay you limit the places you can use them.I think you need a couple of diferent dogs to be able to do any earth thats set before you i would hate to have to walk past a good looking earth because its to deep to digg.

UNLESS YOU ARE DIGGING THE SAME EARTHS OVER AND OVER AGAIN HOW CAN YOU TELL WHAT YOU WILL ENCOUNTER AS YOU START TO DIG? AN EARTH MAY ONLY HAVE 1 ENTRANCE AND LOOK LIKE A PUPPY PLACE BUT COULD BE QUITE THE OPPISITE UNDER THE GROUND. THERE COULD BE ANY NUMBER OF DIFFERENT OBSTACLES UNDERNEATH THE GROUND THAT LAY HIDDEN.

(FOXDROPPER)I LAUGH AT YOU GUYS THAT MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT OTHERS NOT DOIN MUCH DIGGING. SHOW'S YOUR OWN INEXPERIENCE.

If your dogs are stayers would you drop them in any earth you come across then

DIFFERENT DOGS FOR DIFFERENT JOBS, SOMETIMES YOU CAN TELL BY LOOKING AT AN EARTH WHETHER IT'S SAFE TO DROP A DOG IN OR NOT AND I HAVE IN THE PAST DROPPED A DOG INTO AN EARTH THAT LOOKED HANDY BUT ENDED UP A NIGHTMARE. SOMETIMES I HAVE DROPPED A DOG IN PLACES THAT LOOKED DODGY AND IT WAS STRAIGHT FORWARD. WHAT I'M SAYIN IS YOU NEVER CAN TELL UNTIL YOU DIG IT. ALSO I'LL NOT KENNEL A DOG THAT DOES'NT STAY. :thumbs:

diffrent dogs but all stayers where does that make sence.i no earths that cant be dug but with the right dog you can get your fox but if a stayer is droped in you may not see it again.j m o

I NEVER SAID I WOULD DROP MY DOG IN ANY EARTH BUT I AM CAUTIOUS WHERE I DO. IF IT LOOKS UNDIGABLE DOG DOES'NT GET DROPPED SIMPLE AS. IF THE EARTH LOOKS DIFFICULT BUT DIGABLE I WILL DROP A DOG. I DON'T HAVE ANY MUTE HARD DOGS SO I'M CONFIDENT THAT THEY WILL STAY UNTIL RESCUED. EVERY DIG IS DIFFERENT AND I HAVE LEARNED WHICH EARTHS TO STAY AWAY FROM. SMOETIMES DOGS ARE LOST IN THE EASIEST OF DIGS, CAVE INS, SAND EARTHS. WE DON'T HAVE ROCK PILES WHERE I AM BUT WE DO COME ACCROSS EARTHS THAT ARE VERY DIFFICULT AND TRYING FOR BOTH MEN AND DOG, HAVE DUG A FEW THAT HAVE HAD ROCK LEDGES WHICH MADE THINGS DIFFICULT BUT GOING BACK TO MY ORIGINAL POST AS LONG AS I GET MY DOG I'M HAPPY.

imo if you only have dogs that stay you limit the places you can use them.I think you need a couple of diferent dogs to be able to do any earth thats set before you i would hate to have to walk past a good looking earth because its to deep to digg.

UNLESS YOU ARE DIGGING THE SAME EARTHS OVER AND OVER AGAIN HOW CAN YOU TELL WHAT YOU WILL ENCOUNTER AS YOU START TO DIG? AN EARTH MAY ONLY HAVE 1 ENTRANCE AND LOOK LIKE A PUPPY PLACE BUT COULD BE QUITE THE OPPISITE UNDER THE GROUND. THERE COULD BE ANY NUMBER OF DIFFERENT OBSTACLES UNDERNEATH THE GROUND THAT LAY HIDDEN.

(FOXDROPPER)I LAUGH AT YOU GUYS THAT MAKE COMMENTS ABOUT OTHERS NOT DOIN MUCH DIGGING. SHOW'S YOUR OWN INEXPERIENCE.

DIFFERENT DOGS FOR DIFFERENT JOBS, SOMETIMES YOU CAN TELL BY LOOKING AT AN EARTH WHETHER IT'S SAFE TO DROP A DOG IN OR NOT AND I HAVE IN THE PAST DROPPED A DOG INTO AN EARTH THAT LOOKED HANDY BUT ENDED UP A NIGHTMARE. SOMETIMES I HAVE DROPPED A DOG IN PLACES THAT LOOKED DODGY AND IT WAS STRAIGHT FORWARD. WHAT I'M SAYIN IS YOU NEVER CAN TELL UNTIL YOU DIG IT. ALSO I'LL NOT KENNEL A DOG THAT DOES'NT STAY. :thumbs:

diffrent dogs but all stayers where does that make sence.i no earths that cant be dug but with the right dog you can get your fox but if a stayer is droped in you may not see it again.j m o

I NEVER SAID I WOULD DROP MY DOG IN ANY EARTH BUT I AM CAUTIOUS WHERE I DO. IF IT LOOKS UNDIGABLE DOG DOES'NT GET DROPPED SIMPLE AS. IF THE EARTH LOOKS DIFFICULT BUT DIGABLE I WILL DROP A DOG. I DON'T HAVE ANY MUTE HARD DOGS SO I'M CONFIDENT THAT THEY WILL STAY UNTIL RESCUED. EVERY DIG IS DIFFERENT AND I HAVE LEARNED WHICH EARTHS TO STAY AWAY FROM. SMOETIMES DOGS ARE LOST IN THE EASIEST OF DIGS, CAVE INS, SAND EARTHS. WE DON'T HAVE ROCK PILES WHERE I AM BUT WE DO COME ACCROSS EARTHS THAT ARE VERY DIFFICULT AND TRYING FOR BOTH MEN AND DOG, HAVE DUG A FEW THAT HAVE HAD ROCK LEDGES WHICH MADE THINGS DIFFICULT BUT GOING BACK TO MY ORIGINAL POST AS LONG AS I GET MY DOG I'M HAPPY.

:thumbs:

all i was saying is if you only own stayers at some point you will have to leave foxes to groud not having a dig at you or stayers.you defo need a stayer in the team but also need diferent dogs to :thumbs: a.t.b. brog

all i was saying is if you only own stayers at some point you will have to leave foxes to groud not having a dig at you or stayers.you defo need a stayer in the team but also need diferent dogs to :thumbs: a.t.b. brog

different dogs for different jobs,we cleared foxs after hunt had been through,,,,hay bales, wood piles,flushing from woodland ,,pipes,shallow earths ,,deep earths,,covering as much land as possible as quickly as possibby,,,we were called on to show the owner dead foxs 6 to 9 dogs in our team, from russels to lakies ,,some for finding and bolting.others for drawing . some mute, some vocal... but we had to get results,which we did keep the finder free from damage to work off lead\a jack russel ,,,a mute lakey, for killing up dead end pipes and drawing,,ugly and smart,we dug to the lot when needed,good old days ,,,dont over match em when they

too young their little heroes no matter how they bred or look

different dogs for different jobs,we cleared foxs after hunt had been through,,,,hay bales, wood piles,flushing from woodland ,,pipes,shallow earths ,,deep earths,,covering as much land as possible as quickly as possibby,,,we were called on to show the owner dead foxs 6 to 9 dogs in our team, from russels to lakies ,,some for finding and bolting.others for drawing . some mute, some vocal... but we had to get results,which we did keep the finder free from damage to work off lead\a jack russel ,,,a mute lakey, for killing up dead end pipes and drawing,,ugly and smart,we dug to the lot when needed,good old days ,,,dont over match em when they

too young their little heroes no matter how they bred or look

:thumbs:

depending on what part of the country you hunt will pretty much determine the type of dog you'll keep,there is no hard and fast rules,it's horses for courses heaton27,when we worked terriers in scotland they needed to be leggy to jump in and out of rock cairns and caves with ledges and snow,you can't dig there.where I live in northwest england we have a lot of small scraped out rabbit holes that need a small easilly spannable terrier to get on terms quickly and force the bolt if possible,but you must approach the earth quietly,the most important attribute for a terrier though is nose,if your dog has no scenting ability it will not find quickly enough,there is nothing more annoying than a dog that goes through every earth you come to false marking and barking all the way round.a lot of terrier breeds were developed for work in certain parts of the country and named as such,patterdales,lakies and fell terriers to name but a few and they did what was required in that terrain,if your going to dig 8 foot of soil you want the dog to keep it boxed up and busy till you get there,if its moved on after all that effort it is very annoying.I only keep small yappy russell's now that suit my area I hunt,they must have nose and bottle,with a bit of brains thrown in for good measure,we work more cover than earth's these day's and all my terrier's can hold a charlie above ground on their own and they are only half their wieght.looking at the picture's of your dog he would be too big to get to ground round here,he looks a strong dog and plenty of bottle I'll bet, but unsuitable for my area and my type of work.I hope you find some pointer's in this post and wish you great sport with your dog's in the future and I'm sure you'll find the breed that suit's you,you can't rush experience it takes time and lots of mistakes,yis,wc

Good informative post bud, from the little i know that is something i have picked up, that different dogs will suite different places. The dog i have is around 14tts but i cant span him to around an inch meaning he will only be able to work fox in old rabbit earths them other things have cleaned out. However opening a can of worms for me as if i get a mark on a place i will be unsure what is in there, only guessing off my own smell of the holes and whats around the earth but as we all know there could be both in there at this time of year and not always obvious clues around the earth to whats down there. With him being my first terrier i am willing to give him a chance rather than let him go and get something a little less cobbier

Good informative post bud, from the little i know that is something i have picked up, that different dogs will suite different places. The dog i have is around 14tts but i cant span him to around an inch meaning he will only be able to work fox in old rabbit earths them other things have cleaned out. However opening a can of worms for me as if i get a mark on a place i will be unsure what is in there, only guessing off my own smell of the holes and whats around the earth but as we all know there could be both in there at this time of year and not always obvious clues around the earth to whats down there. With him being my first terrier i am willing to give him a chance rather than let him go and get something a little less cobbier

start at easy looking/shallow earths,go out with someone with a few years of experience of earthwork //ya dog will get close in most cases, unless you get his nose and lips bit off before he gets started// but if you drop him in dont be calling him out coz you fuc him up// you gotter dig dig dig//