Troube with Lurcher pup

Hi Lads,

Can anyone offer me advice. For many years I have worked jack russells with ferrets. This year I decided to buy a whippet/greyhound cross pup when my my old jack russell bitch died. The pup is very steady to the ferrets and won't go near them.

She is now 9 months and I have brought her out lamping and ferreting.

However my problem with her is that if she sees a rabbit she will chase it and when it goes to ground she will continue to run on. No matter whether its ferreting or lamping. You will often see her a field away still hunting. Eventually she will come back. If she's not out ferreting/lamping she's otherwise a very obedient dog.

Tried bringing her with older dogs, keeping her on a long lead, or else slipping her but its the same old story. Beginning to lose patience.

I feel the only other option is to put her away until next year & hope she grows out this BAD habit. My big worry is that a farmer will see her running loose some day.

Any advice welcome.

Hi Lads,

Can anyone offer me advice. For many years I have worked jack russells with ferrets. This year I decided to buy a whippet/greyhound cross pup when my my old jack russell bitch died. The pup is very steady to the ferrets and won't go near them.

However my problem with her is that if she sees a rabbit she will chase it and when it goes to ground she will continue to run on. No matter whether its ferreting or lamping. You will often see her a field away still hunting. Eventually she will come back. If she's not out ferreting/lamping she's otherwise a very obedient dog.

Tried bringing her with older dogs, keeping her on a long lead, or else slipping her but its the same old story. Beginning to lose patience.

I feel the only other option is to put her away until next year & hope she grows out this BAD habit. My big worry is that a farmer will see her running loose some day.

Any advice welcome.

Go to page 3, look at starting a lamping pup, read my comment, theres an article on lamping training attached, it may help.

• Like 1

Hi Lads,

Any advice welcome.

You need to spend more time with her and work on the recall ,just you and her ,she's been switched on to work mode before she's had enough training, you need to take the obedient dog from home out in the field, that means whatever your doing at home works, but need the dog to relax while out and listen to out ,If youve been treating at home do it while out with her

clicker with treats works for some dogs ,who like their grub,not all,

The training is everything,,bud ,that means before you take her into the field , field craft is something she ll develop on her own, you need to work on your side of the bargain,

Dont know what happened with the last reply.

When I take her for a walk/run every evening I make sure I go to fields where there is no rabbits about and she is grand and relaxed. Stays close and listens. But when I go out on a Friday night lamping or Sunday morning ferreting and there's rabbits about shes goes into overdrive and does not listen. I dont go back to the same land week after week so the dog is unacustomed to the land. Even though I turn up early and give her a walk/run to try and burn some of her energy before we start.

Tried treating her with nuts and by continuously talking/encouraging her when she does something right but she soon forgets.

Just need to work on her more I guess even though I am after putting alot of time into this dog since I got her as a pup.

Unfortunately I had to use the shock collar on her as a pup to stop her crying and howling which was continuous during the day and night for weeks. I even gave the dog to a friend who lives in a farm for a month to try and stop her from howling without success. The shock collar was the only cure.

If you could suggest other ways of trying to get the dog relax I would be very very grateful. Do not want to give up on this dog because there is great potential there - I'm hoping