reloading costs

depends on components used, such as brass brand, primer type, head type, powder load,

so there is no easy answer, but what you save you will mainly be used in load development until you get your accuracy load...

but the increase in accuracy and performance is worth it.

Snap.

I copy the following from another forum on the costs for a 243. (bear in mind we have seen a dramatic rise in bullet head costs since this was put together early last year) It must be born in mind that to this figure one should add the costs of buying all the equipement required which in reality makes reloading pretty expensive - especially if you buy more than the basic gear and at the top end of the reloading market.

To be honest serious reloaders forget about the costs and do it to bring out the best accuracy from their rifle

Item Cost per round Notes for .243

Powder £0.2074 £40 for 500g tub. 500g = 7716.2 gr. 40 gr / round

Primers £0.0250 £2.50 for 100

Brass £0.0400 100 brass cases @ £40. Each reloaded 10 times

Heads £0.3 £15 for 50 Nosler 95 grain BT

Total cost / round £0.5724

Other contributors found the following for their calibres - the variance between calibres was most likely the cost of the heads:-

17 Rem Fireball : 0.33p

204 Ruger : 0.38p

222 :0.50p

223 :0.25p, 0.30p, 0.36p and 0.39p

22-25 :0.49p

243 Win : 0.43p and 0.57p

260 Rem : 0.44p

270 : 0.70p

6.5x55 :0.64p

7.62x54R :0.37p ( using casts 0.10p)

308 : 0.63p (Hunting round) and 0.65p

30-06 :0.51p

8mm Mauser :0.65p

7mm WSM :0.98p

357 : 0.07p, 0.07p and 0.20p

38 Special : 0.05p (using club shot cases) and 0.10p

Hope this gives you some idea - makes me shudder, but then I'm on the accuracy train.

Peter

how come 222 is so much more than 223? Surely they share the same bullets (mostly)? Also, have you ever done a breakdown of hornet?

And does anyone ever consider casting their own bullets?

Think you will find the difference is that the 223 costs were reduced as the cases were surplus from the range and they cast their own bullets.

Casting for this calibre is mainly done for range work with down loaded powder - not usually recommended for hunting as accuracy can be an issue.

how come 222 is so much more than 223? Surely they share the same bullets (mostly)? Also, have you ever done a breakdown of hornet?

And does anyone ever consider casting their own bullets?

The difference will be the cost of brass; you cazn only get expensive commercial .222 brass but you can get cheap military .223 brass.

I used to cast many years back but packed it in as I consider it dangerous, quite frankly. Molten lead is seriously nasty stuff.

J.

Hi has anyone out there worked out the cost per round for a .243 if it is hand loaded

Hi:

I can't answer your particular question exactly.

BUT whatever you do starting reloading is going to require you to spend a fair bit on day one (About £250.00+ min) at least!

So that's about 10 boxes (200 rounds) of factory ammo at shop prices.

I have been reloading for about 10 years now (4x different calibre's)and the cost per round I don't know, but one thing is for sure reloaded ammo

is VERY VERY superior to any factory stuff, and you can try all and any of the bullets/powder combinations that take your

fancy.

If you shoot a lot of ammo or just want the best then reloading is the only way to go.

Good luck.

Andt F