Day out!

Today the old man and me went to check out a new permission we had just got! It came about through unexpected sources (or over looked)! My mum teaches in a local village primary school. She has a teaching assistant whose husband farms beef cattle locally. This must have come up in conversation and the woman offered that i could ferret their farm. I rang the husband in the week and he said no worries - come down. Just goes to show.

So we set off this morning to have a walk about and a little look-see at the farm. Being cattle we expected it to be pretty large but just wanted to have a walk so travelled light - my young silver jill and 25 purse nets. When we got there and spoke to the farmer and realised we had under estimated the size of the permission. . . . just a bit. This place is HUGE, as far as the eye can see. The farmer told us there were a lot of rabbits.

Went to the first hedge by the farm yard and saw he wasn't joking. It was more hole than hedge! Couldn't tell where sets started and ended, it was just holes running the full length off into the distance.

We netted up the first 25 holes and stuck the jill down, two out from the same hole- just past the end of our nets and straight down the next hole. Moved some nets from the end, two more bolted - one in net and one out of another unetted hole and down another. We could hear the rabbits banging about moving along the hedge underground. Picked the ferret up and pulled the nets.

Decided to have a mooch and look for smaller sets away from others. God there were so many holes and so few small sets, but took another 5 then called it a day and did some exploring.

We've now realised a trip back is needed asap with twice as many purse nets, a long net and more ferrets. Should be some fantastic sport!

The farmer was happy but not surprised we had opted to return with more ferrets. These bunnies can run underground all day unless sandwiched between two ferrets. Next time we go we will purse net large sections and divide them with long nets. Then by starting with ferrets either end, we should push them out into the nets.

The jill worked like a star, no digs and she was her usual comedy self - shes extremely tame and when shes emptied the bunnies comes straight back to climb up my leg.

No photos sadly as i left the camera at home :icon_redface:

Now today also led me to a decision. I've ferreted with my Dad since i was about 7 or younger and havn't ever needed another partner, i think i've been once with someone else and that was a girlfriend. But today i realised that as he hits 60 and has started to travel over seas with work a lot i need another partner to do permissions such as the one we visited, the hedges are too long and too thick to be possible with one person and anyway it gets a bit lonely (awwwwww :whistling: ).

So yes here it is - would you like to come out with me on occasion to some of my permissions? I'm looking for one person, who isn't noisy, rude, arrogant, a know it all, a cowboy, who wont go on the land behind my back, upset the farmers or tell friends who will and who is good fun, relaxed, knows their way around a hedge row, bag of nets and mrk3.

They also ideally need their own ferrets, nets etc to bring along. No guns im afraid (this may be an option later), but dogs (who are stock broken, ferret broken and well trained) are a possibility.

I have a week off work coming up and dads away so this will be a good trail.

Sorry to sound so demanding / picky but its a big step for me and i dont need the hassle of taking an idiot along who'll screw up a good thing.

:thumbs:

atb, yis

Jai.

Yer thats a shame mate. I've heard getting a good partner is HARD, luckily i've never had to - but i think i'm gonna be lucky to get any offers. :censored: It's a shame cos i've got more land than i know what to do with and some of it is THICK with game.

Just read your thread.

I came to the same decision myself when I was out with the ferrets yesterday......I live in deepest Dorset, so sadly I won't be applying.

Picking the new right partner is going to be hard.

Good luck :thumbs:

Yer mate - tell me about it! But i got a few offers already! So i'll be having a look and think. Still need help reading past posts, if i go on the profile and look through there you can only see like the last 5 posts or something.

I need a partner - but imagine the horror of having to spend a day with an idiot and at the end knowing they could return without you.

atb

good luck in your search also!

Jai.

Just read your thread.

I came to the same decision myself when I was out with the ferrets yesterday......I live in deepest Dorset, so sadly I won't be applying.

Picking the new right partner is going to be hard.

Good luck :thumbs:

Yer mate - tell me about it! But i got a few offers already! So i'll be having a look and think. Still need help reading past posts, if i go on the profile and look through there you can only see like the last 5 posts or something.

I need a partner - but imagine the horror of having to spend a day with an idiot and at the end knowing they could return without you.

atb

good luck in your search also!

Jai.

dont you have any good friends or relatives who you know or trust

I do have good friends i trust. Sadly none that ferret, as i've never needed another person, i've never looked / inquired. And i've no brothers so its just me and the old man. I did take my girlfriend out the other day for her first trip out, but shes just not up to all dayers yet . . . . It's times like these i wish i had a twin!

atb

Jai.