8 month old polecat ferrets

some good answers on this thread from i presume the old timers :clapper: ferrets do it best when fed when i was out on sunday i noticed by about 2 in the afternoon the ferrets were geting hungry and to be honest this was hampering there working abillity and as said more chance of killing below or if a rabbitt turns back around and goes back to the waiting ferret . but this is why i prefer to use jills as the rabbitt i believe has more chance of sliping past a jill and bolting into the net, where as if it meets a big old hob less chance of squezing past more chance of a kill just my opinion :thumbs:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting thread you all feed up before the day, me personally give them very little the day before, I want them to work hard if there not hungry they have no incentive to work the rabbit hard (to kill) especially if the rabbit gives the ferret a few kicks. Alot of people presume if the ferret kills it will lay up, not happened with my 3 and there diet is gutted rabbits with skins on. each to there own I guess. :thumbs:

I haven't found that to be true at all. I feed mine before we go out and they will work for as long and as hard as necessary. A few kicks certainly won't put them off...if mine worried about a few kicks, hungry or not, then they probably wouldn't be the ferrets I would choose to work.

Yes, each to their own. But I do not go ferreting without having had breakfast and I have to do considerably less than the ferrets, so I don't expect them to work on an empty stomach either.

ive just taken a few of my young (around the 8 month mark) ferts on their first outing, took to it like a duck to water, didnt take any nets as it was just a trial run so we took the shotty's for any bolters. made sure i had a good meal the night before and a hearty breakfast, ferrets had a good meal the night before and i always take a water bottle. i wouldnt want to work all day without any grub or fluids inside me so i dont expect them to either.

ATB REDEYE