Just my luck!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its never a good idea to ferret a rabbit thats just slipped the nets an gone down another hole - they are very very unlikely to bolt as they know whats above ground an will usually take their chances

i been fetteting for years never had a locator ever they always come out after np longer than 30 min but on reading some of the things on here going to get one this week

Definatley the way forward.   Soon pay for itself.   dug down many a time and retrieved the ferret with the added bonus of more than one rabbit jammed up a stop end.saves loads of time to which a

I agree with you up to a point - i ferreted for years without using a locater and my dad never had one his whole life (not around) and never lost a ferret underground. We were probably lucky, but when a ferret didnt come up we just sat and waited.

HOWEVER - they are available now and yer 90% of the time its not needed - everything goes on as normal, but it does mean that i can rest safe in the knowledge that if sopmething DOES happen - i can dg them out.

One question tho - anyone noticed a difference in how the ferrets work, with and without collars?

atb

Jai.

i agree with u pal. But im no one to want a locator, takes the fun out the game i think. Ferreting is a waiting game. More oftern than not my ferrets come out they work the holes pretty well and they give you a sure sign nobody is home under ground cos they pop back up right away! Before i think about buyin a collar i would like to see one in use to see the difference.

Have you noticed any differnce with the way they work While wearin a collar?

FM ;)

:censored: eeejit :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

a stupid statement may i add cos what did people do in the days before a locator...people seem to forget a ferret is bread for this kinda stuff

a contradiciting statement if you ask me, you say its ok to use ferts like they did 30yrs ago, yet admit to having a snipped hob, surely something they wouldent have done 30yrs ago, yes years ago the ferreted without locators, but ask WHY :hmm:

I would imagine because they did'nt have the money, it was more to put food on the table, than a pastime as it is now, back then money did'nt come easy, christ some people that live off the state get more money than me as a full time worker, so you cant even really use money as an excuse,

at the end of the day though, its horses for courses, you have your way and if your happy with it, fine, just dont ask me for a ferret,lol

a stupid statement may i add cos what did people do in the days before a locator...people seem to forget a ferret is bread for this kinda stuff

a contradiciting statement if you ask me, you say its ok to use ferts like they did 30yrs ago, yet admit to having a snipped hob, surely something they wouldent have done 30yrs ago, yes years ago the ferreted without locators, but ask WHY :hmm:

I would imagine because they did'nt have the money, it was more to put food on the table, than a pastime as it is now, back then money did'nt come easy, christ some people that live off the state get more money than me as a full time worker, so you cant even really use money as an excuse,

at the end of the day though, its horses for courses, you have your way and if your happy with it, fine, just dont ask me for a ferret,lol

Right ok. How is it contrdicting? I only use the v-hob for working cos i have no other ferret than a jill. It was only vescetomised cos i dont want to bread ferrets! Whats the fact he has been v'ed got anything to do with me working him? After all he is still a ferret with no male function or not and since i havent got any other to work apart from one, then it seems pretty unfair to not work him under the circumstances. :wallbash: I dont want to use a locator i wont use one. Whats the big deal? :hmm:

Well said Stubby :clapper:

I only use the v-hob for working cos i have no other ferret than a jill. It was only vescetomised cos i dont want to bread ferrets! Whats the fact he has been v'ed got anything to do with me working him? After all he is still a ferret with no male function or not and since i havent got any other to work apart from one, then it seems pretty unfair to not work him under the circumstances.

Good for you mate.

Too much thoughtless breeding IMHO.

I think what Stubby's trying to say is that if the technology is there you should use it. As much for the ferret's sake as for yours.

Tested it today. Took a jill who had never even seen a collar of any kind before out. Only collared her up (using ferretone) at mouth of first set. She didn't notice a thing, no difference to her working AT ALL. Just thought you'd like an answer.

atb

Jai.

I only use the v-hob for working cos i have no other ferret than a jill. It was only vescetomised cos i dont want to bread ferrets! Whats the fact he has been v'ed got anything to do with me working him? After all he is still a ferret with no male function or not and since i havent got any other to work apart from one, then it seems pretty unfair to not work him under the circumstances.

Good for you mate.

I think what Stubby's trying to say is that if the technology is there you should use it. As much for the ferret's sake as for yours.

it was more a case of you saying that they didnt use locators years ago, so you dont, and me saying years ago they would'ent have a snipped hob, its not impossible to stop ferts breeding without one, where did I say you couldent use it for ferreting :hmm: I have snipped and castrated that are used

Tested it today. Took a jill who had never even seen a collar of any kind before out. Only collared her up (using ferretone) at mouth of first set. She didn't notice a thing, no difference to her working AT ALL. Just thought you'd like an answer.

atb

Jai.

Thats good pal. Im glad u are happy with the collar. Atb with it.

Fm :D

:D

Good for you mate.

it was more a case of you saying that they didnt use locators years ago, so you dont, and me saying years ago they would'ent have a snipped hob, its not impossible to stop ferts breeding without one, where did I say you couldent use it for ferreting :hmm: I have snipped and castrated that are used

Personally i just dont want a locator,i dont see the point but if i wanted to i will try one and see what its like workin with one. My ferrets work ok for now, they pop up when they've bolted so its all good. Sorry pal i might of mis read ur last post.

atb

Jai.

Thats good pal. Im glad u are happy with the collar. Atb with it.

I've used them before plenty - i was testing it on a jill who had never worn it and was expected to hunt straight away - to see if it made a difference to how she worked. She didnt even notice!

It was meant to prove a point . . . i think :icon_eek:

atb

jai.

Edited by Ideation

:D

Good for you mate.

Personally i just dont want a locator,i dont see the point but if i wanted to i will try one and see what its like workin with one. My ferrets work ok for now, they pop up when they've bolted so its all good. Sorry pal i might of mis read ur last post.

I think this is were your going wrong with this thread mate.If you dont want to use a locator and want to risk loosing your ferret and killed rabbits then thats up to you.But to say there is no point in them is just a senceless comment as there is obviously a point to using them.

in my area a many of the keepers and farmers dont want you to ferret their land without a locator as they dont want lost ferrets that have turned ferral turning up in their pheasant pens.Personly even though they are "only ferrets" Mine work very hard for me so i feel that I owe it to them to give them the best chance of coming home with me that I can.and also I dont personly like the idear of killing the rabbits and leaving them to ground if I can avoid it ,Just seems a bit of a waste to me

I wouldn't slip a lurcher before teaching it recal,I wouldn't put a terrier to ground without a locator collar so I "CAN'T SEE THE POINT" of putting a ferret to ground without one.

JMHO

ATB